Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Talking weather

Talk about the weather
Crawly64
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win7

Talking weather

Post by Crawly64 »

Has anybody had any experience with talking/speaking weather output? I'd like to be able to connect my weather station to a small radio that broadcasts the weather when it receives a signal.
callum91
Weather Station: WMR88
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Talking weather

Post by callum91 »

Hi

Insromet produce software which can transmit spoken weather via the telephone. I have not used it myself, however Pitsford School Weather station uses this software and you can listen to it by dialling 07807 551391.

It is similar in a way to an ATIS (Automatic Terminal Information Service) which is used at airports to play a recording of the latestt weather observation (METAR or SPECI) and pertinent airfield information (such as runway in use) on a continuous loop and is broadcast on a frequency which the pilots tune into. In addition, some are connected to a telephone answering device and can received by dialling the telephone number. Many ATIS systems nowadays use a synthesised voice, such as Metcom, however many are still recorded manually by air traffic assistants who also carry out the observations.

Kind regards,

Callum
Crawly64
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win7

Re: Talking weather

Post by Crawly64 »

Thanks Callum,

I'll check it out with Instromet and see if it can be interfaced with a radio.

As a pilot I'm aware of the ATIS and AWIS - the AWIS is what I'm trying to achieve for a private airfield.

Rgds
Crawly