Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Now that’s what I call UK a rain rate

Talk about the weather
colinpb
Weather Station: VP2+SHT31+DFars+Solar+AeroCone
Operating System: Windows 10

Now that’s what I call UK a rain rate

Post by colinpb »

Yesterday my vp2 recorded 9.0mm in an hour, and a respectable rain rate of 149.6mm/hour. I checked the 3 local vp2s, two recorded less than 3.0mm in an hour but the third situated 7 miles away in Harpenden, Hertfordshire recorded 30.0mm; but that wasn’t the real surprise. It recorded an astonishing rain rate of 1080mm/hour!!!

Colin
Gordon-Loomberah
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar and UV
Operating System: Windows 10 home

Re: Now that’s what I call UK a rain rate

Post by Gordon-Loomberah »

It sounds like a spider was swinging on the bucket, or the whole unit was being shaken by the wind, as it is hard to imagine a rate of 1080mm/hr. Do you know how reliable it might be?
The highest I've seen here in a torrential downpour was 345mm/hr for a very brief period and rain >3X that heavy would just be insane!
Loomberah Weather: http://gunagulla.com
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I recently recorded 10.29"/hr in a very heavy downpour. That equates to 261mm/hr. That beats 9.76"/hr back in July 2009.

To have a rain rate almost 4 times as heavy seems inconceivable in the UK. But without being there I wouldn't know what it was like.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Bear in mind that the VP2 measures rain rate by the time between successive tips, and a small amount of rain falling very quickly gives a high rain rate figure. A rate of 1080 mm/hr is equivalent to two 0.2mm tips two-thirds of a second apart. I don't know how feasible that is, but the VP2 spec says the maximum is 2438 mm/hr, which is two tips a third of a second apart (approx), so presumably the gauge is capable of it.
Steve