Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Apparent / feels like temperature definition?

Talk about the weather
duke

Apparent / feels like temperature definition?

Post by duke »

What do you conceive to be the definition or the difference between the 'apparent temperature' and the 'feels like' temperature?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Apparent / feels like temperature definition?

Post by steve »

The 'apparent temperature' as calculated by Cumulus is defined by the Australian Bureau of Meteorology - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Apparent_temperature

I don't think that 'feels like' has a strict definition, and it is usually determined from wind chill or heat index, whichever one currently applies, with the ambient temperature being used for the 'gap' in the middle where neither currently applies.
Steve
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Hi duke - because you are using saratoga templates the later applies.
For historical / cross-platform reasons saratoga does its own calculations for 'feels like' and beaufort winds.

eg. running 'debug' on your site gives:

Code: Select all

<!-- CU_setFeelslike input T,WC,HI,HU,AT,U='4.5,4.5,4.5,4.5,2.8,&deg;C'
     cnvt T,WC,ApparentTemp='4.5,4.5,2.8'&deg;C
     feelslike=5 hcWord=Cold
 -->
From above you can see Cumulus is reporting 2.8 C using Aus BOM, but saratoga is ouputing 4.5 C (rounded to 5).
I believe Leuven templates work the same way.

This is all in the CU-defs.php
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
duke

Post by duke »

Hi Beteljuice, that's what threw me, I had just added the 'apparent' tag to a different template set and checked it against the Saratoga set only to see a different value :? .

As Steve says (thanks for the link), there does not appear to be an 'official' definition / calculation for 'feels like' even though it is used / quoted by most weather agency's, so I'll use the Cumulus calculated apparent.

Perhaps at some time when Steve is less busy he may be able to add an apparent calculation for comparison.