Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

BBC UK Weatherwatchers is now live

Talk about the weather
lardconcepts
Weather Station: Maplin WH1801
Operating System: Win 8.1 Pro

BBC UK Weatherwatchers is now live

Post by lardconcepts »

I might have missed a post, but strange that there is no talk of the BBC's new Weatherwatcher's crowd-sourcing "nowcast" site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weatherwatchers - it's UK only right now, but seeing as it only went live this morning, there's already a decent number of reports.

Here's an "introducing weatherwatchers" video http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0371h1x

It's rather limited right now, as data has to be entered manually - this is the kind of thing that would benefit greatly from an API to allow users of weather stations and/or Cumulus to automatically upload data and images. I've contacted weatherwatchers@bbc.co.uk with this suggestion, but the more that do so, the better!
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: BBC UK Weatherwatchers is now live

Post by water01 »

I and a few others in Somerset, were interviewed on BBC Somerset about this, this morning.

I knew about it about 2 weeks ago after attending a pre-launch meeting in Taunton, and signed up for the site then, but the BBC wanted it kept under wraps until it's launch today.

Submission of data is by a manual web page for which you must have a BBC ID and location. It should NOT be used for record keeping as it currently only keeps your last 90 Reports (the BBC name for a an observation submission).

Each "Report" shows a weather icon, temperature, rain (mm/hr), Pressure (hPa but it is a drop down with 4Hpa between each reading i.e. 1008 1012 etc.), Humidity (a drop down that is grouped in ranges), and Wind Speed (mph) and Direction.

You can add a weather related photo (there are some rules on what they can contain) to each "Report" and you can add a comment although this is not available for others to view.

We also asked about an automatic API but since they will only keep 90 "Reports" they are more interested in 2 or 3 manual reports a day at the moment, although they did say this was subject to change.
Last edited by water01 on Wed 04 Nov 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I've added a report :)
Steve
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

There was a report on BBC NW Tonight last evening but my heart sank when I saw some of the equipment people were going to use to record weather events. :(

One had home made equipment such as using a pencil as part of an anemometer and a rain gauge that looked far from accurate. How they would measure temps was never shown. How can equipment like this provide meaningful data?

I can't see how this service would provide any sort of useful service to the public. The Met Office's WOW project is far more useful.

Wouldn't it have been better to get schools involved and at least provide guidance on minimum standards of equipment required to make it worthwhile? Very disappointing. :(
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

Yes Ray - I share the same feelings as you do. I registered on the site with our postcode - which is centred exactly on the entrance to our driveway. The Weatherwatchers site insists that I live in a village almost two miles away as the crow flies - can't seem to change it but not much of a problem as I won't be using it much unless they automate the logging process.

WOW is much better and allows you to compare your readings with 'known' local stations - which is quite useful sometimes - like now with my 100% humidity readings for last 3+ days :(
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
cumulusutils generating website
http://goosegate.uk/
watsonm
Weather Station: N96GY -but like Triggers Broom!!
Operating System: Raspberry Pi4 Vers:11 Bullseye

Post by watsonm »

I've added a few reports since it started and also added the data from my Christmas present of a Maplins easy weather system. I also think an API would have been useful to automate updates and was going to ask but seeing the comments above I'll take a look at Met Office's WOW project....
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor