Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis Vantage Vue Question

Talk about the weather
Grimers
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit

Davis Vantage Vue Question

Post by Grimers »

Hi guys!

How's it going? I hope you are well.

I just want to run a few questions past you regarding my setup that I hope you'll be able to help me with if you don't mind?

As you know, I've got a Davis Vantage Vue which is sited at 6 meters above the ground. Next year I'm most likely going to replace this with a Davis Vantage Pro 2. The reason I want to do this is because I want to start recording data at a official heights.

However, I have a few issues with this. Due to the Vue being 6 meters above the ground, none of the measurements are official and are incorrect. Would you recommend I delete this data if I am to upgrade? However, if I don't replace this with a Davis Vantage Pro 2, I would potentially want to amend my current setup. Do you think it would be better to increase the height of the Vue to 10 meters or drop it to 2 meters? If so, as I said above, should I delete the previous data and start again?

Kind regards,

William
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Davis Vantage Vue Question

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi William,

Very few of us have our stations set up to Met Office standards but they still provide a useful service. Even if you position your ISS at 1.2 meters that would only mean the temperature sensor is at the correct height. How close is the ISS to objects that can radiate heat is another factor. And the rain gauge at 1.2 meters is too high. It needs to be on the ground but Davis don't make that possible. All you can do is compromise.

As long as you have the anemometer at 10 meters and the ISS at 1.2 meters you'll be doing all you can to ensure accurate records. If you can afford it a anemometer transmitter is very useful positioned at a convenient height.

I'd retain all your records even though temps may be too low during daytime and too high overnight. They're still a useful record.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

If you get a Pro2, then start a fresh new database. If you're keeping the Vue, leave it where it is. 1.2m will sacrifice wind speeds badly, any higher and your rain readings will be completely out with wind.
When I had a Vue at 5m up, and say 20mm of rain was captured in my manual gauge, the Vue would be out by 10 or 15mm sometimes. I got fed up with it!
The only other thing I can think of, is you lower the vue, then use a multiplier or offset to make up the difference in height.
Grimers
Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit

Post by Grimers »

Ok, thanks guys.

Mapantz, it's interesting you say that, I've never seen such a difference in rainfall readings between the Vue at 6 meters and a manual rain guage at ground level. I don't really want to apply offsets as you can't be sure what the readings are at 10 meters. I think my best bet is to upgrade next year and start from scratch.
Mapantz
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

Grimers wrote:Ok, thanks guys.

Mapantz, it's interesting you say that, I've never seen such a difference in rainfall readings between the Vue at 6 meters and a manual rain guage at ground level. I don't really want to apply offsets as you can't be sure what the readings are at 10 meters. I think my best bet is to upgrade next year and start from scratch.
It used to be the same when I had an Ambient WS-1001 as well, I would update it manually from the readings in my Netamo and my manual gauge.

You could always buy a Davis Pro2 anemometer and transmitter, and use your Vue to get the readings from it? It would probably make sense to buy the whole outfit though, considering the price.

Incidentally, I'm going to purchase the Vue console next week, so i can pick up my Pro2 data, and have that console downstairs. The Vp2 console is upstairs and connected to the PC.