Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Mine’s Bigger than Yours

Talk about the weather
Arnie
Weather Station: La Crosse Ws 2355
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Mine’s Bigger than Yours

Post by Arnie »

I have recorded a high of 37.0° C in August 1995 and a low of -43.5° C in January 1994 - a range of 80.5°.
Can anyone better this temperature range of 80.5°??
Cheers
Brian
Sydney Australia

http://www.wentworthvilleweather.com

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

RayProudfoot wrote:Living on an island in temperate latitudes isn't going to break any temperature records.

My highest pressure is very slightly higher than Mark's probably because my station is 4 miles north. 1043.35mb recorded at 10.45am on the same day. I also cross-check with Manchester Airport.
Ray, that correlation between our readings is amazing. Because MIA only reports pressure to 1mb I guestimated the decimal correction by mental interpolation. Still the fact that the reading has remained as well aligned to a pro instrument over time is fantastic for my cheapo unit.

Mark
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

Hi Mark,

I did wonder if it was reasonable to give it to Ray as he went to two decimal places and generally we stick with one (all we need now is for someone to go to three decimal places :lol: ). If it's OK with you I'll leave it as is since I'm sure that someone will soon come in with > 1044 :o
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

OK, time to show my hand :)

Lowest Pressure (sl) 948.40 mb at 18:51 on 31 January 2008
Highest Pressure (sl) 1044.90 mb at 10:15 on 14 February 2008
Steve
bnwrx
Weather Station: Ambient WS2095 (Fine/Offset)
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by bnwrx »

steve wrote:OK, time to show my hand :)

Lowest Pressure (sl) 948.40 mb at 18:51 on 31 January 2008
Wow, was that a hurricane!
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS

Post by RayProudfoot »

mcrossley wrote:
RayProudfoot wrote:Living on an island in temperate latitudes isn't going to break any temperature records.

My highest pressure is very slightly higher than Mark's probably because my station is 4 miles north. 1043.35mb recorded at 10.45am on the same day. I also cross-check with Manchester Airport.
Ray, that correlation between our readings is amazing. Because MIA only reports pressure to 1mb I guestimated the decimal correction by mental interpolation. Still the fact that the reading has remained as well aligned to a pro instrument over time is fantastic for my cheapo unit.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Amazing indeed and I did feel a bit guilty about nicking top spot but I see Steve has shown his hand and beaten both of us. I suppose there has to be some compensation for all that wind! ;)

Kudos to you Mark for not just knowing how to calculate the interpolation but also for setting the station altitude correctly. When you look at this area on WU there's a huge variation in pressure and it's nothing to do with the cost of those stations.

PS. I was into astronomy back in the early 70s when I lived in Norwich. Unfortunately, I had to sell the 12" Newtonian once I moved here. Too much cloud and artificial light. :roll:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

nking

Post by nking »

Well Cool Hand Steve has come in with a shocker :shock: I think it's a bit extreme to move to Orkney in order to get these results. I think I read in a post that you would like to move further North, is this to get the Coldest record! :lol:
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS

Post by RayProudfoot »

nking wrote:Hi Mark,

I did wonder if it was reasonable to give it to Ray as he went to two decimal places and generally we stick with one (all we need now is for someone to go to three decimal places :lol: ). If it's OK with you I'll leave it as is since I'm sure that someone will soon come in with > 1044 :o
Hi Neil,

Thanks for my 5 minutes of fame. ;) I suspected Steve would have a higher pressure and it comes as no surprise he has the lowest too.

But when you see his highest temp you do have to feel sorry for him. My warmest night wasn't much cooler.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

nking wrote:I think I read in a post that you would like to move further North, is this to get the Coldest record! :lol:
It's boringly mild here, I'm never going to come close to any of the temperature records. I'd have to move a very long way north to beat the coldest record; even Shetland isn't anywhere near as cold as the highlands of Scotland way down south.
Steve
nking

Post by nking »

Steve - I thought you were hankering after Norway 8-)
RCE
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Vista

Post by RCE »

steve wrote:
nking wrote:I think I read in a post that you would like to move further North, is this to get the Coldest record! :lol:
It's boringly mild here, I'm never going to come close to any of the temperature records. I'd have to move a very long way north to beat the coldest record; even Shetland isn't anywhere near as cold as the highlands of Scotland way down south.
Shetland has fairly even temperatures thanks to the sea, though normal summers are "hot" at 15'C (59'F) it doesn't generally drop much below freezing in winter.

We had a week up there in early October on the motorbikes, generally day time temperatures of 5'C when back in Yorkshire was in double figures.
====
Alan
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

RCE wrote:Shetland has fairly even temperatures thanks to the sea, though normal summers are "hot" at 15'C (59'F) it doesn't generally drop much below freezing in winter.
Yes, it's pretty much the same here.
Steve
RCE
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Vista

Post by RCE »

steve wrote:Yes, it's pretty much the same here.
Had a long period working on Western Isles, Orkney, and Shetland. All are wonderful places with climates that you wouldn't necessarily expect :) never managed to make it over to Sanday though.
====
Alan
THX
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by THX »

steve wrote:It's boringly mild here, I'm never going to come close to any of the temperature records. I'd have to move a very long way north to beat the coldest record; even Shetland isn't anywhere near as cold as the highlands of Scotland way down south.
I take it this is a fairly accurate representation of the Orkney Islands?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Orkney_islands

Is it accurate that Sandy's population is only 478?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanday,_Orkney
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

THX wrote:I take it this is a fairly accurate representation of the Orkney Islands?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Orkney_islands
Yes, it appears so.
Is it accurate that Sandy's population is only 478?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanday,_Orkney
I think it's a little bit higher than that now, between 500 and 550.
Steve