Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Mine’s Bigger than Yours

Talk about the weather
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Mine’s Bigger than Yours

Post by steve »

MickinMoulden wrote:.you say that mine would be excactly the same even if I had a VP?
I'm saying that it could be, if the heavy rain continued for long enough. I'm saying that very short downpours will give higher rain rates on a VP than on a FO; possibly significantly so, as in my extreme example. I'm saying that during a sustained heavy downpour of 5 minutes or more, the figures are more likely to be similar.
you can get 295 on your VP but Cumulus says 7
Cumulus also said 295. But it didn't last long, and by the time the logging interval came around, the rate (on the VP and hence in Cumulus also) had got down to 7. This is not the same as comparing FO rates with VP rates.
but yet you can't believe that mine at 121 couldn't be extremly higher on a VP let alone any different.
When did I say that? I said it might be the same. It depends on the exact pattern of the rainfall. You can speculate if you wish.
yet you find it hard to believe
Again, please read what I said.
As we are all Cumulus users, my point was, that using the Cumulus graph is the only way we can compare fairly and I believe that it should be noted that VP and others PWS should have their separate records.
The only data you can really compare with is your own. This isn't a competition.
Steve
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Post by MickinMoulden »

steve wrote:
MickinMoulden wrote:.you say that mine would be excactly the same even if I had a VP?
I'm saying that it could be, if the heavy rain continued for long enough. I'm saying that very short downpours will give higher rain rates on a VP than on a FO; possibly significantly so, as in my extreme example. I'm saying that during a sustained heavy downpour of 5 minutes or more, the figures are more likely to be similar.
Yes, you are right and I understand. So I understand that in a 48 sec period the VP can record rain rate spikes. The FO can't. The RR for me comes from Cumulus working out the info it get's from the FO over the 48 sec sampling period. There will be the same rain rate spikes in that 48sec downpour sample that the FO just doesn't record. It's like a no-option-anti-spike technology built in (to put a positive spin on it). So unless I'm still missing something, If I had a VP, I would pick up those RR spikes, and get a higher RR than 121, which is recorded in Cumulus. That's what I'm trying to say. Sorry if my words have caused any misunderstanding. I'm just jealous, that's all. :mrgreen:
you can get 295 on your VP but Cumulus says 7
Cumulus also said 295.
Ahhh. Didn't know that. Sorry. I also understand that Cumulus said 295 because that's the information that the VP has available to it? ....get it now, Cumulus displays the RR differently. VP gives Cumulus the RR and Cumulus works it out for FO because FO's don't do that, just like you said. YPFWYG........(you pay for what you get, did I just make this up? or is it already one of those "LOL" things?)
but yet you can't believe that mine at 121 couldn't be extremly higher on a VP let alone any different.
When did I say that? I said it might be the same.
You said "possibly exactly the same". This doesn't seem like a statement you would use if you believed that it could be higher, thus the "can't believe" statement. It's not quoting you, it's an observation,
The only data you can really compare with is your own. This isn't a competition.
This is the "Mine's Bigger than yours" Cumulus Record Breaker competition isn't it? And we all do it in good fun :D , comparing and admiring the diverse weather conditions around the world from fellow Cumulus users. We are all interested in weather, that's why everyone puts there weather in their signature. This topic is just an extension of that. Showing off your weather. I find it very interesting, just like everyone else that has posted.
Come on, admit it, you got into it. Holding your cards close until you trumped everyone with those pressure records. Fun fun fun. Well done. :clap:
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I do have code in Cumulus which does rain rate calculations in the same way as the VP, i.e. time between tips, and it does work - most of the time. There are just some odd situations - switching between logger and real-time data - when it goes a bit strange, so I turned it off. I may have a go at resurrecting it one day. Now that I actually have a FO station it would be easier to debug.
Steve
MickinMoulden

Post by MickinMoulden »

MickinMoulden wrote:
hills wrote:I haven't read the whole thread, but if the first post is still up to date then I've broken the Highest minimum:

Highest Minimum 28.1 °C on 31 January 2011
Beat you! 28.5 C for highest minimum.
Also, I have records for inside temp....
Highest Inside 35.3
Highest Low inside 31.8
You'll need to be tough to beat those, as you'll be tempted to put the aircon on! :lol:
I beat myself!
Highest minimum last night: 28.6 C
and
Inside Highest Minimum: 32.3 C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
MickinMoulden

Post by MickinMoulden »

captzero wrote:
mynameis wrote:Highest monthly rain : 237,7 mm july 2009 - Sweden
That only just beats my Daily rainfall. :lol:
Highest Daily Rain: 231.3 mm on 11 October 2010
Wettest month - 476.1 mm, October 2010
Ok...highest Daily rain: 232.5mm, this month so far......(16th Feb '11) 484mm (last month was my wettest)
am currently in the "EYE" of a low pressure system due to become a cyclone tonight! Has rained for 36 hours and 45 minutes straight!!Our local airport got 339.4mm (24hrs). I normally have similar rain to the airport and the guy on WU in the next suburb, but now I'm a 1/3 less than both...must check mine for damage from the high winds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

MickinMoulden wrote:I normally have similar rain to the airport and the guy on WU in the next suburb, but now I'm a 1/3 less than both...must check mine for damage from the high winds.
You may well be suffering from the "shallow" rain collector, with the wind blowing the rain out - unless you have done modifications to prevent this?
Steve
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

Mine started recording less than my manual rain gauges and I found a pine needle had gone down the hole and was causing the rain to bypass the bucket.
gliderguider
Weather Station: ws-2315
Operating System: windows 7 professional

Post by gliderguider »

I know its not in my cumulus logs because its the other end of Australia, but I heard today that Darwin has had 425mm of rain in the last 24 hours.
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Post by GraemeT »

I think I've got a new record rain rate:

Highest Rain Rate 329.8 mm/hr at 6:24 PM on 16 February 2011

This really heavy shower lasted only about 5 minutes, but it was a bit like having a water tank up-ended over the house!
The heaviest rain I can remember for Bayswater.
Cheers,
Graeme.
timfy
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Post by timfy »

We have a lot of fun weather living in the mountains on the west coast of Ireland... most of it involving water and wind!!!
MickinMoulden

Post by MickinMoulden »

timfy wrote:Image

We have a lot of fun weather living in the mountains on the west coast of Ireland... most of it involving water and wind!!!
Well, I've broken last months record (posted on here as the highest monthly rain record), and I'm at 650mm, and it's only the 19th! Also posted my highest daily as 232.5mm, when our airport recorded their highest ever recorded in 1 day of 339.6mm (cyclone Carlos). Then I've discovered that my modified rain gauge was reading 46% under by my calculations (bench testing, which coincedently, I have just worked out that if I add 46% I would get close to the airport reading). So I've bought a manual rain gauge to sought this out once and for all.
As for wind, I didn't come close to what you had

EDIT- Local airport in Darwin got an all time 24hr rain record of 367.6mm.
ImageImage
MickinMoulden

Post by MickinMoulden »

Ok, new monthly rain record, went from 650mm on the 19th of Feb to end with 757.2mm.
Bench testing had me at 46% under, so I bought a rain gauge. Turns out I was close, I'm reading at least 47% under, what a bad time to be under calibrated :bash: . With the new calibration it's still slightly under, so if my gauge was suffering from blowout during the cyclone, then I would have been even more under!
Darwin got 1179mm for Feb (where I was born, just 20km from here).
I got 416.9mm over 3 days (47% under which should of read as 612.8mm). Darwin got 732.4mm in 3 days (new all time record since records began), courtesy of Cyclone Carlos.
With a whole month to go, we have broken our wet season record of 2499.4mm of rain.
ImageImage
hdmax
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by hdmax »

I may have missed it, but I didn't see any Heat Index numbers. (I know this is a USA stat, but Cumulus and many Weather Stations have the option.)

I know this is no record, but it is way up these. (This is directly from the Davis Vantage Pro2)
From what I was able to find searching the web, is that the all time record happened a couple days before this in Minnesota at 134* (But as I said, not every place recognizes/uses this index.)

The temperature was 95.2* humidity was 75.9%
MickinMoulden

Post by MickinMoulden »

OK, back to this. Now that Cumulus has more records it can display, there are a few that haven't been attempted like:
Temp: High Heat Index, High/Low apparant, high/low dew point;
Wind: Highest Daily wind run;
Rain: Longest Dry/Wet Period.
I'd like to kick off with one I know will be beaten because I don't have lots of wind.....
Highest Daily Wind Run
Highest Daily Wind Run 492.3.JPG
ImageImage
MickinMoulden

Post by MickinMoulden »

* Although it is recorded by Cumulus, it doesn't appear on the records page, I think WestOz's record of 78 days without rain should be listed.
I'm going to premature with this one, but here it goes:
Longest Dry Period: 116 days
Longest Wet Period: 21 days
Longest Dry&Wet Period 116 & 21 days.JPG
ImageImage