Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Which weather station for a beginner?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
WestOz
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR88A
Operating System: Windows 10 (64bit)

Re: Which weather station for a beginner?

Post by WestOz »

I've posted this link previously but it's a quite informative comparison guide to weather stations...

http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/We ... ison+Guide

Ian
on the Indian Ocean coast of Western Australia (down the bottom left-hand corner of Oz)
gluepack
Weather Station: PCE-FWS 20
Operating System: Win 7 Pro

Post by gluepack »

I am quite happy with the PCE-FWS 20 (which is a 1080 clone I believe). I had the frozen anemometer problem (first night and cured it 2nd attempt) and the USB lockup problem (still there but not anywhere near as frequent) but, apart from that, it was a breeze to install and really hasn't been a problem considering the relative price. I got mine through amazon.de as, overall, it was cheaper (for me) than .uk and it has been running nearly seven months. Touch wood, no battery problems yet but then we do get a lot of sun so the rechargeables must be happy.

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
Station type: PCE-FWS 20…Webcam link: View south to edge of Provadisko plateau
CBers
Weather Station: N96FY
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by CBers »

Another weather beginner here :shock:

Just ordered an N96FY for £54.95 (£59.95 minus £5 discount voucher) from Maplins - collect it this afternoon :D

Gonna install Cumulus once I've got it, so will no doubt have lots of questions later.
kedar301
Weather Station: Not yet owned
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by kedar301 »

i just checked Maplin site and the price for this unit gone up to £99.99, so at the end bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new

for £92.17.

Seemed to be a good offer, though i am not going to use this one for now and giving it to my father as a gift. I will get one for me may be in Christmas.
CBers
Weather Station: N96FY
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by CBers »

Damn, I got that at the right time then !!

My son bought a refurbished weather station for £45 the other day from Maplins outlet shop on eBay.

Turns out, it was an N96GY !!
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Yes, "refurbished" stations in either "Silver" or "Black" livery appear also to be still available directly from Maplin at £45 delivered (but excluded from a further £3 discount voucher). Also the black version is now the one on "Special Offer" (i.e. the typical price for these stations) at £69.99 (less a £5 voucher of course).

Cheers, Alan.
kedar301

Post by kedar301 »

but i think if i am spending £70 for that Maplin one then why not get WS 2080 for same price on Amazon or get WH3080 with solar radiation for £92 from Amazon.
kedar301

Post by kedar301 »

received WH3080 yesterday, opened the box and had a quick look at it. all is well for now, but need a thorough look before i make any further comment.

Is there any specific thing i should check before shipping it to my father in another country?

Thanks

Kedar
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

You should definitely plug all the cables together (indoors) and check that everything is working correctly!

If you don't want to open the (supplied sealed) pack of batteries, then any AA cells will do for temporary testing. NiMH (rechargeable) cells might be better if you have any, as their lower voltage will emulate partially discharged Alkalines.

Cheers, Alan.
kedar301

Post by kedar301 »

hi Alan,

Thanks for advise, i am not sure i have NiMH but will surely attach standard batteries and check things indoor. Before i ship it.

Thanks

Kedar
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

One thing I forgot to say (maybe too late now) is to take a photograph (digital of course) of the opened box to show where all the bits fitted in !

Cheers, Alan.
kedar301

Post by kedar301 »

hey Alan,

Thanks, and i am glad to let you know that it is not too late i can still do this. i am still at work though so when i get home i will do it.

Thanks

Kedar
kedar301

Post by kedar301 »

Alan,

i just checked and photographed the packaging, the Display is working fine but guess what????? the wireless transmitter is missing in the package, so cant check anything else. Just had a chat with Amazon customer service and they are sending me a replacement.

but thanks for your previous advice to check the unit.

Kedar
Boyo
Weather Station: Technoline WS-2350/Lacrosse2350
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by Boyo »

As a complete beginner I purchased a Technoline WS 2350( a rebadged Lacrosse 2350) from The Weather Shop near Eastbourne.www.weathershop.co.uk. At the time, May 2012, :D the cost was £83.33. The instructions were very clear to set the weather station up. When I did need some technical help the man at The Weather Shop was excellent.

So far it has been trouble free and with the help of Cumulus has proved to provide and record much interesting weather data.

I use Windows XP. I don't know about Windows 7.

Good luck. (I am situated in east Essex)