Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WS3083 Control Unit gets the time/day/month wrong

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
g3nrw
Weather Station: W3083
Operating System: Windows 10

WS3083 Control Unit gets the time/day/month wrong

Post by g3nrw »

My Aercus WS3083 Control Unit is installed in what appears to be a poor position to receive a reliable signal from DCF. Consequently the displayed time is almost always (very) wrong -- wrong time, wrong day, wrong month. This is not a time zone issue.

Is there any way to disable the DCF receiver? I am quite happy to update the time manually every once in a while. Moving the Control Unit is not an option.

--
Ian
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080

Re: WS3083 Control Unit gets the time/day/month wrong

Post by nitrx »

Mine is synronized but for using cumulus this should be no issue because cumulus doesnt use the console time cumulus uses the computertime
g3nrw

Post by g3nrw »

nitrx wrote:Mine is synronized but for using cumulus this should be no issue because cumulus doesnt use the console time cumulus uses the computertime
Ron

Forgive me, I am not yet very familiar with the Cumulus software. I am running v 1.9.4.

I am running the WX station hardware continuously 24/7, but I only run Cumulus when the computer is running -- just a few hours in the day. I had assumed that when Cumulus starts and reads the data records from the WX station, it reads the timestamps from the WX station. The PC clock is meaningless in this situation, as it bears no relationship to the time when the WX station actually collected the data (perhaps many hours earlier). Or have I misunderstood how it works?

--
Ian
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

The archive records in the station are not timestamped. They contain the archive interval, and Cumulus has to work back from the current time calculating the timestamp for each archive record by subtracting the archive interval in each record. It uses the computer clock as the starting point, it never reads any date or time information from the console.
Steve
g3nrw

Post by g3nrw »

steve wrote:The archive records in the station are not timestamped. They contain the archive interval, and Cumulus has to work back from the current time calculating the timestamp for each archive record by subtracting the archive interval in each record. It uses the computer clock as the starting point, it never reads any date or time information from the console.
That's more like it! Now I'm beginning to understand.

So I guess everything will work as advertised, provided the Console remains operational 24/7.

Presumably, if there is a break in Console operation, Cumulus will have no means of working backwards to deduce the time of any data readings that were captured before the break occurred?

--
Ian
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

That's right. But as the console has battery backup, it would be very unusual for there to be a break in its operation. There is the infamous 'USB lockup' problem, of course, that some of the Fine Offset models suffer from, which requires a reset, which inevitably causes loss of data. Using the 'synchronise Fine Offset reads' setting in Cumulus helps to minimise that.
Steve
g3nrw

Post by g3nrw »

Thanks Steve. All understood. As it happens, the console is powered continuously from a wall wart, so a break in operation is unlikely.

Onwards and upwards.

--
Ian