Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH3081 Thermo Hygro Sensor Issue! HELP!

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
OliverMcDermott
Weather Station: Orion WS3036
Operating System: Windows 10 x64

WH3081 Thermo Hygro Sensor Issue! HELP!

Post by OliverMcDermott »

Hi All,

A strange issue with my thermo-hygro sensor for my 'Fine 'Offset' clone - WH3081 - four days ago, the thermo-hygro sensor stopped sending data. The UV/Solar sensor transmitted data as per usual. I left it for a several hours and it started reporting correctly again. Current situation: it has now ceased sending all data except UV/Solar (how ironic lol) - I have changed batteries, run the console from power; I've used Alkaline 1.5V Duracell's in the TH Sensor, all to no avail.

I cleaned the board on the sensor and didn't notice anything obvious, aside from trace amounts of corrosion in places.

Any ideas? I'm thinking the thermo hygro sensor is cooked, as it's not even reporting '0' values - it's just '---'

Oliver,
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: WH3081 Thermo Hygro Sensor Issue! HELP!

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Oliver,

The Solar data is sent in separate data packets (and even by a different microcontroller) so it's important that the Console is "synchronised" to both signals (hold in the <down arrow> button on the Console for 8+ seconds).

The real question is whether the Humidity displays "--" when the External Temperature, Rain and Wind are all reported correctly. If so, then I'm afraid the humidity/temperature sensor is probably dead. Recently on the forum I think somebody did manage to find a replacement part, but another possibility is to swap it with the Console sensor (not just "steal" it) or "cannibalise" another transmitter.

If all non-Solar (but non-Console) data is "missing" and cannot be resynchronised, then there are a few tests to check for microcontroller failure or radio interference, etc..

Cheers, Alan.
OliverMcDermott

Thanks Alan, and thanks for the guidance.

Yes, none of the values sent from the thermo hygro sensor are displaying - the console shows indoor stats, as well as the UV/Lux sensor.

Also, I've noticed the LED on the LUX sensor is not indicating a successful sync correctly - when doing said reset, the UV sensor LED should flash solid for several seconds, then flash quickly, about 3 times - this, I believe is the essential sync. It has stopped happening. It only flashes, briefly, once after being solid, instead of 3 times.

I am starting to think the transmitter is faulty - you've advised there are tests one can do to test a faulty transmitter?
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Oliver,

The wireless protocol in these stations is basically just "send and hope", so the transmitter cannot "know" if the signal was actually received and the receiver "synced". AFAIK the flashing LED just indicates a "bootup" sequence; also beware the user manual is not always accurate (e.g due to software updates or poor Chinese translation).

The Console has a tiny icon which indicates when it expects to receive a signal (NOT that it is actually received) which happens (a multiple of) 48 or 60 seconds after the last data packet was received. So it should flash in unison with the LEDs on both the transmitter and Solar Pod.

The only "easy" way to know if signals are being received is when the "--" disappear! Note also that the "--" only re-appear after about 7 consecutive data packets have not been received. So even if you pull the batteries out of the transmitter (and shade the PV panel from the sun) it will be at least 6 minutes before the "--" appear again.

AFAIK the radio transmitter itself (inside the T/H/W/R box) is still "shared" by the Pod (which has/had all the necessary RF components omitted from its PCB to reduce costs). But if you are receieving Solar data, this suggests that the transmitter itself is fine, but the microcontroller has failed:

The first check for this is that the LED in the transmitter box should flash once every 48 seconds. If not, the Pod might be "blocking" the transmitter, so try disconnecting the Pod cable and resynchronising the Console. Also try unplugging the Rain/Wind sensor cables, which should still display as "0"s rather than "--" (except for wind direction). If you still can't get the LED to flash (and/or the Console to receive any data) and all obvious checks (such as battery condition and transmitter "dryness", etc.) have been done, then I'm afraid we have to assume that the "transmitter" (box) is faulty. Not much can be done to repair, even by an electronics hobbyist.

Unlikely, but do beware that you are not being "mislead" by radio interference or perhaps a neighbouring station!

Cheers, Alan.
OliverMcDermott

A most thorough response indeed,

There is a HAM Radio operator several blocks away - though it's unlikely, I've sent him a text, and ruled-out other nearby stations.

I'd considered much of what you've mentioned and agree - the controller is likely cooked.

I've tried connecting the TH sensor without any additional components, and for the sake of troubleshooting; a futile attempt at booting and connecting components in odd sequences rendered no positive results.
OliverMcDermott

Additionally, I'll confirm the transmitter is not sending packets - the LED upon initialization either shows solid, with notable flashing - but this is each second and permanent, or not at all. The transmitter cannot reliably read it's own state.