Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Where's Steve?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
CloudPopper
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Linux & Windows

Where's Steve?

Post by CloudPopper »

Where's Steve now?

How's it going for Steve?

What's Mrs. Steve got to say about it all?

Can Steve offer us any do's and don'ts to retirement or camper living in general and during U.K. winter?

What pointers and recommendations can Steve offer for living a developer's and online life on the road?

Why isn't Steve posting to a sticky or blog with a running update of all things Steve???

When next will Steve release an MX update?

Will the home/landing page ever get updated?

What's the price of cheese in Boroughbridge?

It all seems so adventurous. Cube slaves want to know!

Steve. Steve. Steve. Steve. Steve.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Where's Steve?

Post by steve »

Thank you for asking. Answers to some of your questions:

We are currently back at our winter base on a site in SW Scotland with the new (to us) and much smaller motorhome, but planning to move around a bit again for a couple of weeks starting on Friday, including a one night stay in a hotel, with a bath (luxury!). Amongst other things, we're going to have a look at a few bits of the wall that Hadrian chap built a while back.

Things have been, and continue to be, a bit hectic, and working on Cumulus in this smaller motorhome is a bit of a challenge at the moment, so I can't say when I will get around to releasing a new build of MX. I do have some changes done, but I need to do a bit of testing and an investigation into the Davis logger download issue before I can release them.

I will say that this motorhome is much warmer than the previous one - it was built in Canada, and I guess they know a thing or two about cold weather.

Mrs L is documenting our adventures (as and when she finds time) here - http://twosnails.uk/wp/

I'm afraid I know nothing about the price of cheese in Boroughbridge, it is many years since I have been there.
Steve
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

steve wrote:I will say that this motorhome is much warmer than the previous one - it was built in Canada, and I guess they know a thing or two about cold weather.
Just curious on that front, being an Aussie that considers anything below 10°C a bit too cool.

Does it have some sort of heating system? Diesel or Gas maybe? If so, does it basically run most hours thru the day.

Cheers.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Apart from the original cab heating from the base vehicle which operates when the engine is running, it has three built-in heating systems.

1. A propane 'blown air' heater
2. An 'Eberspacher' petrol heater
3. An electric heat pump system.

The weather is so mild at the moment and the van is so well insulated, that we rarely need to turn the heating on. When we do turn it on, it only needs to run for a few minutes each hour. It's 10 C outside at the moment (at 9pm) and it's 18 C in the van, and we haven't needed the heating on at all so far today. Note that our preferred ambient temperature is probably much lower than most people!
Steve
CloudPopper

Post by CloudPopper »

Happy Birthday to Steve!

:D :lol: :P :) :clap: :mrgreen: :!:
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thank you very much. Mrs L has made me a very nice meal, and I have consumed far too much alcohol to contemplate driving on tomorrow, so we are going to book another night here - the Hadrian's Wall Camping Site. I can think of much worse places to be :)
Steve
glennpm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by glennpm »

Hi Steve,

That's balmy weather, -23C here last night in Maine!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes indeed,and not typical for Scotland. We do prefer colder and snowier weather to hot weather. I think the lowest temperature we have ever experienced was about -15C.
Steve
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

Steve Glad your having a great time, and also nice to hear from your better half, with her nice blog posts. Stay safe and enjoy your-self's.
CloudPopper

Post by CloudPopper »

Just wondering if your camper playlist includes anything besides the Sammy Johns classic?

What are your thoughts on camper life after a few months now? Will you be returning to Sanday, or is it to be a vagabond's life for you two?

How does one manage internet connectivity through it all?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

CloudPopper wrote:Just wondering if your camper playlist includes anything besides the Sammy Johns classic?
That's great - I think that's our theme tune now.
What are your thoughts on camper life after a few months now?

Loving it! Even in the much more cramped conditions in our 'Chevy Van' compared to the RV.
Will you be returning to Sanday, or is it to be a vagabond's life for you two?
We're returning to Sanday in April to get the house ready for sale. We'll almost certainly look for somewhere small to buy on the Scottish mainland, as being of no fixed abode has its difficulties in the UK. Plus, we want to retain our Scottish residency given the uncertainty of the future post-Brexit.

We plan to go to France (and possibly further into Europe) for several months, starting in September this year.
How does one manage internet connectivity through it all?
The site we are using as our base has (paid for) wifi which works reasonably well, and when we're on the road we use a combination of free wifi and our mobile internet router which gives us 15GB data per month for £20.
Steve