Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Outdoor Humidity WS 1081

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
viewer
Weather Station: ws 1081
Operating System: windows 10

Outdoor Humidity WS 1081

Post by viewer »

Hello from Australia, thanks for allowing me to join.

I have had an WS 1081 weather station for many years now, but recently my outdoor humidity sensor gives no reading at all, however, all other transmitted data works perfectly.

Can anyone describe how I could troubleshoot this issue, as otherwise, all remains perfect?

The digital display for the outdoor humidity just shows two constant dashes i.e. _ _

I have reset the indoor unit, and supplied fresh batteries to both the indoor and outdoor unit.

Many thanks.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Outdoor Humidity WS 1081

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
viewer wrote:I have had an WS 1081 weather station for many years
Welcome to the forum. It depends how many years you've had the 1081, because its internal design has changed over the years, even though the model number hasn't.

Take a look at the two "..inside of.." sticky threads at the top of the Fine Offset (the manufacturer) section. Those photos start with the "old" (humidity) sensor (in 2009) but later photos may show the newer module (which I believe now also provides the temperature measurement). You might find an "obvious" fault such as corrosion or poor soldering, but unfortunately humidity sensors can just fail with the passing of time.

The bad news is that I don't believe anybody has found "off-the-shelf" replacements, but one person did exchange the sensors between Console and transmitter, to move the faulty measurement to indoors.

Cheers, Alan.
viewer
Weather Station: ws 1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by viewer »

Thanks for your reply.

Mine is like this photo
https://postimg.org/image/v454754cj/
Imagefree upload image
Just seems a shame to have to pay out about $60Au for the whole part, when just the humidity section is "playing" up
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

I'm afraid they ALL look like that from the outside. The "older" cases were glued together (but can be prised apart with a knife or similar), "later" ones are only held together by internal plastic clips. But there is probably not an exact correlation between that and the internal PCB design.

Beware that even $60 may not get you a transmitter which is compatible with your Console, the wireless protocol was also changed around 2012 (give or take a few years depending on the exact model). These FO stations are sold with many different "brand" names and model numbers, but conversely many models such as the "1081" have numerous different internal hardware configurations (and not just radio frequency differences). :(

Note the very different PCB layouts on the first page (third post) and third page (near the bottom) of the link I posted above (sadly this forum doesn't show post numbering within the thread).

Cheers, Alan.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

I have changed sensors from a broken indoor console to the outdoor transmitter. A bit messy but fixed the problem. I couldn't get a replacement transmitter so decided to go for broke. That was over 6 months ago. Still going strong.