Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis Vantage Pro2 Maintenance.

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Davis Vantage Pro2 Maintenance.

Post by ConligWX »

Hi guys

Just confirming whats the best way to put my Weather station into Maintenace mode whilst I move and clean the ISS?

Is putting the console into Setup Mode good enough or should the batteries be removed from the ISS too? Obviously CumulusMX would also be stopped.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Davis Vantage Pro2 Maintenance.

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Simon,
I have no direct experience and hopefully others will chyme in, but from what I have read the Setup mode is only effective for a short while (some minutes) before it goes back to normal mode http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=20034.0. I don't think taking the battery out is effective as the supercap would still have power to transmit.

Good luck,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I normally just unplug the rain sensor from the ISS as the first step, then do what you want and you will not get any false tips. If it's sunny disconnect the t/h sensor too - stops false high readings if you take the shield apart.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I have no direct experience
My VP2 was put up July 2008 and I've only opened the ISS a couple of times, once to replace the battery about 5 years ago. Never cleaned or did maintenance to it :oops: except for the rain bucket debris cleanout.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

You get 30 mins when you enter setup mode on the console. If you haven't finished maintenance by then it will switch back to 'live' mode as I found out to my cost a year or so ago.

As Mark says, unplug rain connector and any others that might be affected by your work. I set a 29 min countdown on my smartphone so as not to be caught out.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

Thanks for the tips guys!
Regards Simon

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

I usually try and do my maintenance after the sun goes down so as to not affect readings *too* much. I'm due. It usually takes between 30 and 45 minutes for me to do my maintenance (includes me taking apart the fars and cleaning the temp/hygro sensor as well as the shield stack). But yeah, first thing I would do is unplug the rain sensor. If I have to even do a little maintenance to the rain bucket I unplug that thing first.
ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

BigOkie wrote:I usually try and do my maintenance after the sun goes down so as to not affect readings *too* much. I'm due. It usually takes between 30 and 45 minutes for me to do my maintenance (includes me taking apart the fars and cleaning the temp/hygro sensor as well as the shield stack). But yeah, first thing I would do is unplug the rain sensor. If I have to even do a little maintenance to the rain bucket I unplug that thing first.

Yep thank, done it all yesterday, I was moving the ISS to a better position, and gave it a quick clean. it wasn't that bad really though a few spider nests were on the outside of the ISS which may have become a problem later. I took my time and I guess the outage was about 45-50 minutes in total. Also added then new Rain Cone too.
Regards Simon