Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Wind Direction

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
wi3x
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Wind Direction

Postby wi3x » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Dumb question here but I swear that years past the wind indicator at most if not all weather sites pointed INTO the wind so one could tell which direction the wind was coming from. Now I've noticed for quite a few years that the pointer is in the direction OF the wind. To me, this just seems counterintuitive. Just a pet peeve of mine that there is nothing I can do about.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Jessie Lite rPi

Re: Wind Direction

Postby mcrossley » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:18 pm

I think most still use a "from" indicator - any examples using a "to" indicator?
I notice the VP2 console code manages to use both! A triangular indicator in the correct "from" position on the compass but pointing in the "to" direction!

wi3x
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby wi3x » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:19 pm

mcrossley wrote:I think most still use a "from" indicator - any examples using a "to" indicator?
I notice the VP2 console code manages to use both! A triangular indicator in the correct "from" position on the compass but pointing in the "to" direction!

I agree here and think this is correct. As in a tetrahedron at an airport. I was referring more to sites like Weatherunderground and such. This is what I mean.

The text is correct but the pointer seems backward.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Jessie Lite rPi

Postby mcrossley » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Yeah, that is what they have done with the "web" version of the VP2 console - unlike the physical console which has the arrow pointing outwards in the direction of the wind origin.

Return to “General”