Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind Direction

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
wi3x
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Wind Direction

Post by wi3x »

Dumb question here but I swear that years past the wind indicator at most if not all weather sites pointed INTO the wind so one could tell which direction the wind was coming from. Now I've noticed for quite a few years that the pointer is in the direction OF the wind. To me, this just seems counterintuitive. Just a pet peeve of mine that there is nothing I can do about.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Wind Direction

Post by mcrossley »

I think most still use a "from" indicator - any examples using a "to" indicator?
I notice the VP2 console code manages to use both! A triangular indicator in the correct "from" position on the compass but pointing in the "to" direction!
wi3x
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by wi3x »

mcrossley wrote:I think most still use a "from" indicator - any examples using a "to" indicator?
I notice the VP2 console code manages to use both! A triangular indicator in the correct "from" position on the compass but pointing in the "to" direction!
I agree here and think this is correct. As in a tetrahedron at an airport. I was referring more to sites like Weatherunderground and such. This is what I mean.

The text is correct but the pointer seems backward.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Yeah, that is what they have done with the "web" version of the VP2 console - unlike the physical console which has the arrow pointing outwards in the direction of the wind origin.