Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

UK Metoffice retiring embedded widget service

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Steepleian
Weather Station: WH2650
Operating System: Debian 9

UK Metoffice retiring embedded widget service

Post by Steepleian »

Metoffice has announced that it is ‘retiring’ the embedded widget service. Retiring or an enforced cost cutting exercise? Many of us use these embedded widgets on our websites. Would be interested to hear other users’ thoughts.

Read about it here : - https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/services/weather-widget

Steepleian :groan:
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: UK Metoffice retiring embedded widget service

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks for the warning. Very disappointing they're stopping this service. No reason given. Strange there is no date on the statement.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

I don't use it myself...

However, the warnings (amongst other stuff) can be returned using their datapoint API. I use their radar overlay image for my site, but they offer forecasts, weather maps etc. I think you have to contact the MetO re warning api, but it is free.

Maybe some clever folks on here could develop something? ;)

Worth mentioning, they're also upgrading their warning system.
  • What is changing?

Fundamentally, the weather warnings will remain the same - they will continue to be issued when the combination of severe weather impacts and the likelihood of those impacts occurring meet the criteria for a warning to be issued. However, improvements have been made to the way people can access, understand and use our warnings information. These improvements include:
  • · introducing two additional warning types – thunderstorms and lightning

· extending the warnings from five days out to seven days - It is unlikely that this will be used frequently, but it will mean that in some weather situations, such as St Judes’ or Ophelia, warnings can be issued with a longer lead time.

· Likelihood and impact will be communicated more effectively using improved language and visualisation. This includes improving the way we communicate risk and retiring the Be Aware, Be Prepared, Take Action phrases.

Each warning will now contain the following sections:

. Headline – a short weather headline, which states what weather type, is forecast

. What to expect – details on the types of impact forecast and an indication of how likely those impacts are

. What should I do – this section links to advice and guidance from our partners on how to stay safe in severe weather

. Further details – additional information on the forecast weather.

· being able to issue warnings faster and therefore with shorter lead times when the weather is changing rapidly
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Just did a quick search. This one looks a possibility. Code has to be emailed to you but that's not a problem.

https://www.forecast.co.uk/widget/
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

I've embedded the forecast widget from forecast.co.uk into my main page. Thanks to that site for providing the service. :)
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Steepleian
Weather Station: WH2650
Operating System: Debian 9

Post by Steepleian »

RayProudfoot wrote:I've embedded the forecast widget from forecast.co.uk into my main page. Thanks to that site for providing the service. :)
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I am in the process of putting a multiple forecast page together using this service (for my family scattered around the UK). Also trying to work out if I can use the Metoffice's Data Point service to replace the embedded weather warnings widget but my brain ticks very slowly!