IMPORTANT! The server may go down soon - possibly permanently. Please read the latest post in Announcements and News

I strongly advise all users using my server for their web site to make alternative arrangements.

Outgoing mail is disabled because of the malware on the server. No new forum registrations are currently possible, and mail to the forum administrator will not work.

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

USB to Serial device -- solution

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Re: USB to Serial device -- solution

Postby gemini06720 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:53 am

Paul, it would not be a 'slot' as you have indicated, but what is called as a 'header', a connector directly mounted onto the mainboard (motherboard).

I looked at the ASUSTeK web page for the P8H61-MX - looking at the documentation for the P8H61-MX, it appears that, indeed, Asus has removed the COM header - it also appear that Asus is now making 'bare' mainboard with very limited options for the professional users!

pete_c
Weather Station: Davis Vue-Pro2 - Fine Offset
Operating System: W2003-XPSP3-Linux

Postby pete_c » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Recently purchased a "few" of the following motherboards. These are core duo / quad core motherboards with a design that is a couple of years old now. That said they are built very well and I am using these for low cost servers. One is becoming a new Ubuntu MythTV/XBMC box. They are reasonable in cost to upgrade (CPU and memory) and very well built. Note I do not work for the company. These do include serial ports. There are many new old stock core duo/quad core "legacy" motherboards now that can be purchased for a very reasonable cost these days. These are much less than new I3, I5, or I7 DIY (with CPU and Memory) motherboards. Purchased these at about $40 USD with free shipping. New old stock.

http://www.bcmcom.com/bcm_product_mx965gme.htm
- Pete

http://longboatkey.golffan.us/ - Fine Offset

http://BrokenArrow.golffan.us/ - Davis Vantage Vue / Pro2 - Cumulus MX

darc
Weather Station: Davis vp2 // Maplins N96GY
Operating System: Win 7 Home / Nokia Lumia Win

Postby darc » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks Laurie for the link I have been playing around for a while now with this type of fitting
ended up fitting a pci card into the pc with this fitting it works out it would have been a lot
cheaper with this lead, will no next time, in fact I will order a couple now anyway using your link.

Cheers Geoff
Weather station Davis Vantage Pro 2 / Maplins Forecaster N96GY http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/29021968.html

Canon camera 1100d Samsung compact

weatherwatcher
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows7

Postby weatherwatcher » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:21 pm

darc wrote:Thanks Laurie for the link I have been playing around for a while now with this type of fitting
ended up fitting a pci card into the pc with this fitting it works out it would have been a lot
cheaper with this lead, will no next time, in fact I will order a couple now anyway using your link.

Cheers Geoff

Been using it now for I don't know how long with no problems. Why they don't leave the backs of computer alone without changing all the port connections I have never been able to figure out.
Glad I found the link to this place as my weather station would have been as much use as a busted sausauge
Paul
Newhall Weather Station
If it has been done once it can be done again.

Return to “General”