Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Internal Server Error

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
preterito
Weather Station: Easy Weather
Operating System: w7

Internal Server Error

Post by preterito »

Hello, I need your help, I take several weeks trying to run your template, and no way, I've reviewed several times as the setting is in the direction http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/install.php, but can not get work and not know where to start looking for the possible failure.
I checked my test server and I think is right, you can see it in http://www.pcciber.net/prueba.php
I have made sure that the folders have sufficient permissions, the ftp service works with the template that comes by default cumulus in html, so I guess I should properly working demo, I put some pictures if you can help me solve my problem. Thank you very much.
(also attached a file of errors that appeared only once in my server.)
When you access my page http://www.pcciber.net/tiempo4/wxindex.php podies see the error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@pcciber.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
preterito
Weather Station: Easy Weather
Operating System: w7

Re: Internal Server Error

Post by preterito »

Sorry but the configuration of cumulus www/tiempo2 can see the directory, it is now www/tiempo4
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

It may be a permission or htaccess thing.

If you look for a non parsed file eg. test.htm, it correctly returns a 404 (Not found) error, but the moment you put a .php extension in, it returns a 500 (Internal server) Error.
Last edited by beteljuice on Sun 11 Mar 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
serowe
Weather Station: WM918
Operating System: Win Server 2008 R2

Post by serowe »

A 500 Internal Server Error usually (99% of the time) indicates a problem with the construction of the PHP file you are trying to load - in this case the CUtags.php file. It generally has nothing to do with permissions or 'htaccess thing'....

You need to thoroughly check your syntax - it could be as simple as a missing ; at the end of a line, a missing closing for a directive (<p> amd </p> for example) or similar very simple syntax error.

If you have a local web server installed (XAMPP or WAMP), try running the file in it first - if you haven't either of these installed I suggest you do so - it can save you grief like this many times over :)

Stephen
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

It generally has nothing to do with permissions or 'htaccess thing'....
:bash: Rubbish !

See eg. http://support.lunarpages.com/knowledge ... rticle/324 or do a simple search on PHP and internal server error.

My money is on permissions.

Try moving your test file to that directory and see if it works.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
serowe

Post by serowe »

Sorry oh great one! I should have heeded the advise of others here that are never wrong (but then again experience doesn't mean anything here when compared to ego's, does it?)

preterito - take your pick on the solution - it didn't take much experimenting from my end to point to the most likely problem.
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Post by GraemeT »

preterito,

Some server implementations will not allow any filenames to contain spaces and will generate and error 500 if you try to load one.

Check all of your filenames and make sure none contain spaces.
Also, check your .htaccess file for spaces in filenames used in Redirect lines.

I hope this is helpful.
Cheers,
Graeme.
serowe

Post by serowe »

The internal server error howeer is being gewnerated by the CYtags.php file (try accessing it and you will see what I mean). Using cutags.php generates a 'file not found error' as would be expected; using CUtags.php (note capitalisation) generates the internal server error - this indicates the file itself is causing the problem - most likely a syntax error.

preterito - post the file here as an attachment and let's see what can be found in that file - the file name is OK so that wouldn't be causing the problem.
GraemeT

Post by GraemeT »

Serowe,
I've run into a situation where your submission that server error 500 can be caused by the coding of a php file was quite correct.

The cause of my error 500 was a php function, defined in an include file, which was redefined in the main file. The situation occurred a couple of days ago, when I changed an included file of functions and used a different one. One of the included functions had been temporarily defined in the middle of the main php file, causing duplication of the function. The web-server didn't like 2 copies of the same function and generated an error 500 until I removed the duplicated code. It didn't matter which copy I deleted, the problem was solved as long as only one copy remained.

The real problem with server error 500 is that it's just a generic error message used to state the bleeding obvious - that something went wrong and the server can't identify the cause...

Cheers.
Cheers,
Graeme.
serowe

Post by serowe »

Graeme,

You're correct about the 'wording' of this error - it is a real PITA because it implies it is something on or in the server causing an issue which, I guess, is the case, but it isn't obviously the case all the time!

The only (helpful) suggestion I can make to anyone writing or modifying their own PHP (or even HTML) code is to use a proper editor designed for these languages. Personally I use PHP Designer V8 ( http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php ) of which there is a free version available. The reason I suggest something like this is that it can tell you if you have a syntax error very quickly. It won't necessarily help with your redefined function but it will help eliminate the obvious, and sometimes hard to find, bug(s)

I've been writing code now long enough to realise that sometimes the actual problem isn't always obvious (Ockhams Razor.... so to speak <sp?>)
GraemeT

Post by GraemeT »

I use dreamweaver and the only issue I've ever had with it's functionality is its inability to flag any php errors. It can flag syntax errors in javascript as well as html and coldfusion, but for some reason adobe don't seem keen to add this functionality for php. Although syntax checking won't pick up everything it certainly helps.
Cheers,
Graeme.
gluepack
Weather Station: PCE-FWS 20
Operating System: Win 7 Pro

Post by gluepack »

I have just started getting the 500 error message (around 07:59 UTC) on running any php in the saratoga folder. Everything else appears to work fine and I am able to access the files no problem through my cpanel.

I haven't changed any files at all, apart from the regular realtime, etc. files that are uploaded.

Any ideas?

update: php's run (or, at least, attempt to run) from the base folder no problem and folder/file permissions seem ok

oh, looks like my service call did resolve something even though they said that it must be my problem

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
Station type: PCE-FWS 20…Webcam link: View south to edge of Provadisko plateau
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

The 500 error has started again. This time, root directory php's are affected too.

Interesting that all files uploaded are time stamped 16:34 UTC, including CUtags-new.php, but CUtags.php is time stamped 17:15 UTC. Wouldn't it normally be within a few seconds of -new?

And now, it has corrected itself again (or my email did the trick again ;) )

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

Oh well, time to find another host I guess.

This is the first time, since using my site for weather, eighteen months ago, across two hosts, that I have ever got a 500 message and I get it for 2 x approx. 1 hour periods in one day with it correcting itself meanwhile. All, I get back from hostpapa is...
I am sorry but we do not know why it was working fine for a while and only recently started getting 500 errors. There could be lots of reasons. When you are intermittently getting a 500 error it usually means that your account is using too much resources and this only affects PHP.
Surely, you have to know why a service you are providing isn't functioning correctly otherwise why are you in the business?

I have already reduced my FTP traffic by 1/3rd, a few months back, because they kept suspending my IP address. This never happened with my previous host and they have still not identified (well, intelligently) why it was a problem.

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Try Vidahost, never had a problem with them on FTP, PHP or anything else and they also help with the domain and hosting transfer. Very good service on Support as well.
David