Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Maplin in administration - where to buy spare parts now?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
lnwer109
Weather Station: Maplin
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Maplin in administration - where to buy spare parts now?

Postby lnwer109 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:52 pm

For those still looking fora replacement rain gauge for a Maplin weather station, I have bought a suitable replacement from Greenfrog Scientific - it is a "Rain Gauge for WS3083, WS2083, WS1093 and WS2073" and it costs £19. I removed the old one which had ceased working and replaced it with this one and it works just fine. However, having taken the old one down I took it apart and found it full of spider's webs which had stopped the moveable part from working. So before you buy a replacement, try taking the cover off (it is secured by two lugs on the bottom) and check that the seesaw-type thing moves freely.

logjam
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY
Operating System: Raspbian on Raspberry Pi

Postby logjam » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Spiders are no1 problem with rain guages. Those web strands will hold up the tipper filled with ball bearings let alone water. :D Stop up all the holes, and put a fine grill over the drainage. A small piece of gauze will do.

£19!! :o It can't cost much more than £2.50 to make, even with a magnet & reed switch. :x Most of it would be easy to DIY in plastic or even wood.

gjchester
Weather Station: Fine Ofset
Operating System: Win 7 Virtual Machine

Postby gjchester » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:38 am

mcrossley wrote:EDIT: Oh and I changed the anemometer bearing.

Mine stopped rotating this weekend, (its also the generic N96GY ) and I didn t think to buy spares before Maplin folded, do you know off hand what the bearing was, was it the same 5 x 10 x 4MM as in the wind direction meter?

My sensor is in bits at the moemnt with the bearing soaking in 3-in-1 oil, but i susepct it s too solid for the oil to have any effect, and I'm not 100% sure what I'm measuring on the beraring :)

AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby AllyCat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:33 am

Hi,

Yes, I'm fairly sure that the bearings are the same in Vane and Anemometer. There are several threads (including one quite recently ) that discuss sources for the bearings.

Note that the bearings linked in that thread, although from a Chinese seller use some form of expedited shipping, so could/should actually arrive by the end of this month. ;)

Cheers, Alan.

bingo99
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Win7

Postby bingo99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:47 pm

I recently replaced my wind direction unit through Amazon, it came directly from China!! It is branded as MISOL on the website

gjchester
Weather Station: Fine Ofset
Operating System: Win 7 Virtual Machine

Postby gjchester » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks for the reply, slightly delayed as I changed my email address on the forum and the new email activation email seems to have got lost and it needed an administrator to help me get back in.

Anyway the bearings been sat in 3-in-1 oil for about 24 hours, its slightly freed but it's "crunchy", it sorta rotates 180 to 270 degress then gets stuck and needs a wiggle to get it going, so I suspect there are a few rust spots on the bearings or liners. Even if i can get to rotate it enought to free the cruchy bits it will only get worse so I ordered new ones via the ebay link.

I'm assuming its just a case of filing down the slight lip on the plastic spindle that retains the current bearing, ease the old one off and fit the new one on the top, I cant imaging the vane will travel up much to work its way off the spindle to jusify remeltingthe spindle top much.

Thanks also for the pointer to MISOL. I'm thinking that if I have to star replacing parts I may repalce the system, as other bearings and sensors may start to failing too, or as I'll hae 9 spare bearings I cna jsut rebearing the directinos sensor too :)

Spiders are also my enemy with the water gauge too...

Return to “Fine Offset/EasyWeather”