Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Lost sensor contact error

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
gullen
Weather Station: fine offset
Operating System: windows 7

Lost sensor contact error

Post by gullen »

I have a WH1081 which has been giving lost sensor contact messages. Generally as it gets solder in teh evening below 15deg and then comes back on next day as the temperature rises. I suspected old batteries that were worse when sold so changed them all. Problem still persists. When I was up the ladder I notice small winged insects coming out of the non battery part of teh transmitter and wonder whetehr these interfere with teh signal or short something, retreating there as it gets colder. The frequency is 868.3hz. Maplin sell replacements for £15 but only with 433hz. Could the wiggywaggies be the cause and a good blast of air fix the problem or are dodgy batteries still likely or even a faulty transmitter (3 years or sol old)? Does anyone know where I could buy an 838.3hz transmitter? I prefer not to change the weather station itself but Maplins sell one that looks identical to my WH1081 for £45 with the 433hz frequency. Presumably if I got that i could just change the transmitter on the mast and the display unit and plug in with no further adjustment and kep the other bits for spares.
babis3g
Weather Station: Maplin Off Set, Code: N96FY
Operating System: W 7

Re: Lost sensor contact error

Post by babis3g »

had some issues with the maplin one similar to ws-1080
from time to time is saying lost sensor but very rear (well at the moment)

Personal i think the 433mhz is more able to pass the signal via wall/roofs,
the higher 800mhz signal may go more far distance but more weak to walls roof

-What i have find if helps (at least my unit) the solar plate that covers the main sensor, if i turn it the other way (then push it down) it seems is more tighter/secure to the sensor and so seems at strong winds is better

-also i have find out if the sensor it turned by its side way (together with its palte caver of course), facing the base (by its side|) it transmit better (i mean the sensor's red led not facing the base but the side of it)
Doing them 2 steps Turn the solar plate & turn by the side the sensor seems has solve my issue

maplin has the ws-1080 for 45£ right now & that is the one i have (i think the price is including the sensor/pole & everything if you go for a brand new one)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/silver-usb-wi ... ster-n96fy
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
gullen wrote: Does anyone know where I could buy an 868.3 Mhz transmitter?

The Clas Ohlson station uses 868 MHz and they sell "spare" transmitters (maybe only via one of their 12 UK shops), but at a higher price than Maplin. It's actually the 1080 (Radio Controlled Clock) version but should be compatible (the 1081 has no RCC, but the data packets are compatible). Perhaps also try "Walters & Stanton" for spares.

In practice, I would expect the range of the 868 MHz version to be at least as good as the (new) 434 MHz versions, because the radio hardware design is "better" and also this frequency band is less "congested" with radio interference.

In the past I have recommended buying a complete station in prefence to a single "spare part", because all the cabled sensors are indeed compatible (and of limited service life). But I'm currently replacing an "old" Maplin station with one of the "new" (£49) offerings and the radio reception is apalling. Literally hours of "lost contacts" in exactly the same location (keyhole slots hooked onto the same screws) where the old version worked almost perfectly (the range is quite short). At this price point it seems to be largely a matter of "luck" how well the radio link works.

So my advice is to try as hard as you can to get your existing station working well again, i.e. cleaning, re-locating the transmitter and/or Console, trying better batteries (perhaps AA Lithium non-rechargeables), etc..

Cheers, Alan.
Tau Bootis
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3

Post by Tau Bootis »

I had a problem with hundreds of small flies living in my anemometer it was a right mess when I opened it up but after I cleaned it out it was OK.

To open the transmitter is a bit tricky as the two halves are glued but it is possible with careful use of a Stanley knife, once open you can check and clean the circuit board, rather than glue it back together I use some insulation tape just in case I need to open it in the future.

My unit will be 6 years old this Christmas
Mark

gullen
Weather Station: fine offset
Operating System: windows 7

Post by gullen »

Thanks

Walters and Stanton had teh 868 transmitter under the name of Watson. All working fine now. I hav eopened teh old one and sprayed with contact cleaner and will test it at soem point. It was very dirty although the flying ants were in the battery area only.

- although
AllyCat wrote:Hi,
gullen wrote: Does anyone know where I could buy an 868.3 Mhz transmitter?

The Clas Ohlson station uses 868 MHz and they sell "spare" transmitters (maybe only via one of their 12 UK shops), but at a higher price than Maplin. It's actually the 1080 (Radio Controlled Clock) version but should be compatible (the 1081 has no RCC, but the data packets are compatible). Perhaps also try "Walters & Stanton" for spares.

In practice, I would expect the range of the 868 MHz version to be at least as good as the (new) 434 MHz versions, because the radio hardware design is "better" and also this frequency band is less "congested" with radio interference.

In the past I have recommended buying a complete station in prefence to a single "spare part", because all the cabled sensors are indeed compatible (and of limited service life). But I'm currently replacing an "old" Maplin station with one of the "new" (£49) offerings and the radio reception is apalling. Literally hours of "lost contacts" in exactly the same location (keyhole slots hooked onto the same screws) where the old version worked almost perfectly (the range is quite short). At this price point it seems to be largely a matter of "luck" how well the radio link works.

So my advice is to try as hard as you can to get your existing station working well again, i.e. cleaning, re-locating the transmitter and/or Console, trying better batteries (perhaps AA Lithium non-rechargeables), etc..

Cheers, Alan.