Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Setting north on the unit.

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
G0SQL
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows Vista

Setting north on the unit.

Post by G0SQL »

I have had my Fine Offset now for about 6 Years but now I have moved. I can't fine the "N" for the setting direction now. Is there another way I can identfy wich way to set it please.
Thanks Rod
vaggos
Weather Station: PROWEATHER STATION 1080
Operating System: XP SP3, win7, Win10

Re: Setting north on the unit.

Post by vaggos »

Rod its so simple.
Connect it to your console and check the anemometre. Mark the point that you'll see in your console showing the North. One compass will help you for that. Then fix in the right plase the sensors.
Regards
Vaggelis
Acharnes Athens Greece Meteo station
http://www.meteoacharnes.gr
https://weather.meteoacharnes.gr/
Thanks Sandaysoft
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The wind direction has an 'N' moulded into the side that should face North, or at least they used to.
jpsc
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue, belfryboy USB
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye

Post by jpsc »

G0SQL wrote:I can't fine the "N" for the setting direction now. Is there another way I can identfy wich way to set it please.
I find myself in the same position. I put the mast up roughly a couple of months ago thinking I could tweak it later but when I come to look at it it is about 45 degrees out, so I can't see which direction to move it. I can rotate the mast without taking the sensors down but don't know which of the cardinal points to align the top bar on. I think it should be east/west with the vane at the west end. It is currently pointing NW so I don't know whether to go to north or west.
John Cooper

Cumulus 3 on RPi3 with SSD

http://weather.mountpleasanthouse.uk

uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

With a marker, I drew a dirty big arrow on the bottom of mine so I can see it from the ground.
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nitrx »

You can use the callibiration of Cumulus to add or substract winddirection degrees .
jpsc

Post by jpsc »

nitrx wrote:You can use the callibiration of Cumulus to add or substract winddirection degrees .
I could hold the vane still and point it to north then enter the calibration, but if I could get that close I could see the marking...
John Cooper

AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
jpsc wrote:it is about 45 degrees out,
If you told us in which way it is "out" we could tell which way to rotate the mast (or Cumulus correction). ;)

But, (with mine) the North direction is the same as the bolt running through the Wind Vane base. Therefore the long arm of the masthead should be E-W. There is no way to tell if you asembled it with the Vane or Anemometer to the East (or roatated 180 degrees), but you should be able to work out if you have N and S exchanged.

Cheers, Alan.
jpsc

Post by jpsc »

AllyCat wrote:Hi,
jpsc wrote:it is about 45 degrees out,
If you told us in which way it is "out" we could tell which way to rotate the mast (or Cumulus correction). ;)

But, (with mine) the North direction is the same as the bolt running through the Wind Vane base. Therefore the long arm of the masthead should be E-W. There is no way to tell if you asembled it with the Vane or Anemometer to the East (or roatated 180 degrees), but you should be able to work out if you have N and S exchanged.

Cheers, Alan.
I don't know which way it is out, that's the problem. I can't observe the direction of the vane and the console simultaneously, there is too much lag to use the website, even if I could get a connection when I'm at the mast.

I'm pretty sure there was only one way to assemble my vane base to the arm, but in any case I know I am not 180 degrees out because I observed the marking when I put the mast up, just not very carefully. At the moment the arm is NW/SE. The east/west orientation of the arm is the information I need, now need to point the vane end of the bar to west and I'm done. Thank you very much.

It's all a bit academic as I'm on the side of a valley and my wind direction bears no relation to sites around, just want to be approximately right.
John Cooper