Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Tidying up cables

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
gizmo001i
Weather Station: WS1093
Operating System: Windows 10

Tidying up cables

Post by gizmo001i »

Hi, my name is Ian and I am a new member on the forum and have just got a WS1093 for Christmas. I have done a search, but can't find an answer for my question. The cables on the sender units are fairly long, so obviously need to be made tidy. Am I ok loosely wrapping the cables around the mast or will I have problems with spurious readings caused by induced currents from the cables being too close to each other. If so, what is the best way of tidying up the cables so that they don't flap around or get tangled. Any help will be very appreciated.
Many thanks
Ian
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Tidying up cables

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum. Most of the questions on the forum are about lengthening cables rather than shortening them! Don't try to emulate Fine Offset's "promotional" pictures; one of the "better" features of the station is that the cables are long enough to give some flexibility in the location of its sensors.

Ideally, the wind sensors should be above any nearby roof peak, the rain sensor only just above ground level and the external Temp/Humidity transmitter in a "shaded" location, moderately low and accessible (e.g. to test and change the batteries). Generally, that's not practical, but a reasonable compromise can be to put the wind sensors on a 6 foot (2 metre) "TV aerial" mast, with the transmitter at the bottom of the mast, perhaps under the gutter at the top of a north-facing wall and the rain sensor slightly higher and further from the wall. In this case you can "lose" the excess cables inside the mast.

The real problem is locating the "Solar Pod" if you have a Solar Data (not just solar charging) version, because FO got that really "wrong". The Pod should be high to "see" the sun, but it is locked on the transmitter which should never be in sunlight (because the "sunshield" is so poor). Also, for the Radio Controlled Clock (in the transmitter) to receive signals in Soutthern England, it is generally better to face the Pod East or West. So, ideally the Pod should be on an extended cable with the Wind sensors, but that's a major modification. [ EDIT: I see that you have a "1093" which I don't recognise, but guess is a non-solar non-RCC type. ]

But to answer your original question - no there shouldn't be any issues with the interaction between standard length cables. However, these stations are rather prone to generating unexpected "spikes" in their data for no apparent reason. If you are really sure that you want to shorten the cables then you could get a few "RJ11" crimp plugs and a crimp tool (almost essential) for a few Pounds and cut the cables. But not recommended because you might need to take advantage of any warranty from the supplier.

That's probably more than enough to say for now. You'll find lots of posts on the forum concerning most of these issues. ;)

Cheers, Alan.
gizmo001i
Weather Station: WS1093
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by gizmo001i »

Thanks for your reply Adam. After reading it, I think I will spend the next few days repositioning some of the sensors. I don't have a solar sensor, but the rest of the sensors are on a pole attached to my garage at the end of the garden and are about 10ft in the air. Well away from any other buildings. So I think I will have to rethink where I place the rain and humidity sensor as you stated in your reply. Once again, many thanks as at the moment, I have got the unit setup as exactly shown on the box lol.
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Ian, as Alan says, don't try and create your setup based on the image on the box!

In my own experience, I found the most sensitive sensor is the raingauge as it can 'tip' (and count rain) if it is not stable and there are strong winds -- so positioning it on the pole is not a good idea. Mine is further down on a solid, low fence post. Is is now not subject to wind movement. :)

There's a few tips in the Wiki on positioning the various sensors

http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#Select ... ensor_site
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi