Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

complete newbie - HELP

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
martinjohnstone
Weather Station: WS2083 Aercus Instruments
Operating System: windows 7 homepremium

complete newbie - HELP

Post by martinjohnstone »

its taken me days to get this far. I really hope someone can help. Got an AERCUS WS2083. Set up and working no problem. Looking forward to seeing the data on my computer - but HOW? The instruction manual doesn't give any instructions AT ALL in this regard, it merely says to download software online. I have the Cumulus software on my computer now - still none the wiser. I even managed to find and read 'README.TXT' - gobbledygook.
How do I even connect it? There's a USB port on the base station. I plugged a USB stick into it - nothing happened.
Is there a page on the forum that explains this properly, that I still haven't found yet?
I am an intelligent and fairly technically minded person, and certainly no luddite, but I am hugely disappointed at the lack of direction from the sellers of these met units, such as Aercus. its 2016- if I see something advertised as being able to connect and display to computer, and it has a USB port, I expect it to be 'plug & play' or at least to have adequate instructions. I don't expect to have to track down a forum to get the software and find out about the idiosyncracies of the various units.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: complete newbie - HELP

Post by steve »

Perhaps you should be having this rant with the people that sold you your weather station, rather than here. Cumulus is free, optional software, and I have no affiliations whatsoever with the manufacturers or suppliers of Fine Offset weather stations.

The USB port on your station is for connecting it to your PC using a USB cable so that Cumulus (or any other software) can communicate with it.

There is a Cumulus installation guide (provided by users of Cumulus) in the downloads section, which you may find useful. It is admittedly a little out of date.
Steve
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

There is also a complete Wiki which any " intelligent and fairly technically minded person" which you profess to be should be able to follow. Why on earth would you think "There's a USB port on the base station. I plugged a USB stick into it - nothing happened" if you are technically minded that that would communicate with the software, USB sticks don't contain WiFi, so it is fairly obvious that the lead that should have been supplied with the weather station is to connect it to a PC.

There are setup instructions http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Setup, FAQs and many other pieces of information which are available to read.

Perhaps it would also have been more polite in your first post to ask for information rather than ranting and raving about information that is freely available if you had bothered to look.
David
philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

Hi Martin and welcome to the Cumulus family

RTFM mate !
Just downloaded the user manual and its all their.
P 14 covers PC connection

Its really cheeky of the maker to link to FREE software. A 'kite' from Steve maybe, or is it a pat on the back for him.

Either way, you have no doubt sussed that the 2, hardware and software MAKERS are NOT connected.

So, when Cumulus exceeds all your expectations remember your donation :)
Phil - G0DOR