Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Constant spikes!!

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
liamcarbin
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7/8

Constant spikes!!

Post by liamcarbin »

Im getting constant spikes with my fine offset (Maplin branded) weather station. Been set up for a few year now. Its getting to the point I cant even be bothered with it any more. Constant erroneous readings. Ive set up spike removal in cumulus but still the problem persists.

Thoughts? Where am I going wrong?
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Constant spikes!!

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Spikes with all the data or just a particular channel such as the external temperature? How old is the station? But the Fine Offset stations are well-known for introducing spikes anyway.

Stations manufactured before a design change about 3 years ago were particularly susceptable to temperature spikes due to problems with the wind cable (the ADC was shared between functions).

The station may have become "faulty", but also the 434 MHz radio band has become very congested, so the spikes might be caused by interference from a newly-installed wireless doorbell, central heating controller, car key-fob, etc., or of course another local weather station! How long is your radio path and are there any other (new) potential sources of interference such as PC, Wi-Fi router, mobile phone, etc.?

Cheers, Alan.
liamcarbin
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7/8

Re: Constant spikes!!

Post by liamcarbin »

AllyCat wrote:Hi,

Spikes with all the data or just a particular channel such as the external temperature? How old is the station? But the Fine Offset stations are well-known for introducing spikes anyway.

Stations manufactured before a design change about 3 years ago were particularly susceptable to temperature spikes due to problems with the wind cable (the ADC was shared between functions).

The station may have become "faulty", but also the 434 MHz radio band has become very congested, so the spikes might be caused by interference from a newly-installed wireless doorbell, central heating controller, car key-fob, etc., or of course another local weather station! How long is your radio path and are there any other (new) potential sources of interference such as PC, Wi-Fi router, mobile phone, etc.?

Cheers, Alan.

More than one channel - Temperature, wind etc
I bought it over 4 years ago now. Ive been collecting data since 2012. Radio path is very short. Far end of the garden to my room with the comptuer etc. Nothing on myside has changed. No new equipment.