Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Faulty transmitter

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
bluebristol
Weather Station: WH-1080
Operating System: Windows 8

Faulty transmitter

Post by bluebristol »

I have a Clas Ohlson Weather station bought Dec 2012
Reciever WH1080
Transmitter WH7

The transmitter stopped working and I thought a quick battery replacement would do it - but now have a permanent red light and no connection.

As Clas Ohlson dont sell the transmitter any more Would either of the 2 transmiters sold by Maplin work? and if so which one?

Many thanks
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Faulty transmitter

Post by mcrossley »

The Clas Ohlson devices are 868 MHz and Maplin 433 MHz as far as I know, so they will not be compatible.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Yes, agreed, the CO stations use 868 MHz and AFAIK the Maplin's always 434 MHz.

Also, the manufacturer (Fine Offset) changed the Wireless Protocol (data format), I believe with the CO's since 2012 (Maplin's changed earlier). However, these stations are sold under numerous other "badges" so you might find an alternative supplier:

The best starting point might be Walters and Stanton but they are rather more expensive than Maplin. They seem to have several possible replacements; I think the 868 in the model numbers is the radio frequency so a "Watson" 8681 transmitter might be suitable. As a "specilaist" supplier they may be able to help you, I suspect that you need a "mark I" version, but do make sure that you can return anything that isn't suitable.

Note there are at least four types of transmitter, even excluding the different radio frequency and protocol versions: One of the two Maplin's is for a station with no wind Vane (or USB interface), so is certainly usuitable for any station compatible with Cumulus. Some transmitters (e.g. the other from Maplin) don't support the Radio Controlled Clock, so that part can't work (but the Console can still be set manually). You probably have (an early version of) the "third" type, whilst the fourth supports solar measurements, which surprisingly are "(backwards) compatible", but only with the "later" protocol (which I don't believe your station uses).

Cheers, Alan.
bluebristol
Weather Station: WH-1080
Operating System: Windows 8

Post by bluebristol »

Thank you for your replies
As I felt I have nothing to loose I have been waving my soldering iron at it - somehow managed to get it going but a little erratic - i guess there is a dry joint or the pcb has a fine crack.
I will persevere! :)
lrscj
Weather Station: WS1080
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by lrscj »

Did you make it work?
I am in the same situation. Red LED is all the time on except half second.
SM7
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Raspberry

Post by SM7 »

Had the same problem with mine.
Resoldered more or less all solder joints om the transmitter board.
It seems to wotk still after a few month.
Connectors to wind an rain oxidize and if it happens you can try to exchange connector on thoose cables.
They sre standard 4 pole multi.