Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Win 10 - Start on Boot?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
rstetson
Weather Station: Vantage Vue 2
Operating System: Win 10 64bit Pro

Win 10 - Start on Boot?

Post by rstetson »

OK, I've followed the Microsoft instructions on making a program restart after a boot.

For some reason, Cumulus doesn't automatically restart, even though the link to the program is in the startup directory.

Is there some setting folks have found that makes Cumulus start as part of the boot sequence? This is 64 Bit Win 10 Pro.

:groan:

rsl
Coach Roy, Seaford's Statmaster, and Weather Nut
(You could look it up)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Win 10 - Start on Boot?

Post by steve »

Have you tried the instructions from the link given in the FAQ? http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... _starts.3F
Steve
rstetson

Post by rstetson »

This is Win 10, not Vista so much of the Doc has the wrong info on how to get into the schedulers.

For example, you have to type "schedule tasks" in the search bar to get to the scheduler.... :bash: otherwise it can't find what you want....

However, you can add tasks... need to reboot to see if it all works.

rsl
(You could look it up)
rstetson

Post by rstetson »

and all that still doesn't start and open Cumulus on boot.....

I'm beginning to think that Cumulus just doesn't like Win 10, or Win 10 doesn't like something in Cumulus - Ive tried with Win 10 and Win 7 settings and it still just sits there and ignores Cumulus and Weather Cloud (set to go later)

And now cumulus is griping that my barometer is off - and it is set correctly on the Console. Can't it just take the readings every 5 minutes?
(You could look it up)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Typing "Task Scheduler" works fine for me on Windows 10. I haven't tried the rest of the steps, but as the window that comes up looks very much the same, I'd imagine the rest of it applies to Windows 10 too. Whether it currently achieves the desired effect on Windows 10, I can't say, but I did try it myself just after Windows 10 release, and it worked then. Perhaps someone else may be able to suggest a way to achieve this on Windows 10; Microsoft have presumably changed something since the first release. But Cumulus works just fine on Windows 10, thank you very much.

I have no idea what the problem is with your barometer (or perhaps it's your console). Yes, it could read the pressure readings to recalibrate every 5 minutes or whatever, but it doesn't, and never will, in Cumulus 1. I may look at doing something like that in MX at some future point - there are so many work arounds for problems with Fine Offset stations already that one more won't make much difference.

Note that one cause of it not being able to read the barometer offsets at startup is having more than one instance running...
Steve
rstetson

Post by rstetson »

i GIVE UP -

I've tried various startup settings from Win 10 to Win 7, tried administrator, not administrator, etc. :bash:

I don't have any more time to waste on this - something in the setup is stopping Cumulus from running on my Win 10 Pro 64bit. It used to work fine in XP but I've taken that machine out of service.

When someone posts something other than "see the FAQ" maybe I'll try it again, but at my billing rate, wasting 2 hours on a startup issue isn't cost effective.
(You could look it up)
rstetson

Post by rstetson »

And, for the record, it works great on Win 10 once you get it running - it is even more reliable in polling the console than on XP...

But every time Win 10 reboots (expecially for the updates) I lose connectivity with CWOP until I get back to the computer, which could be days at times.

Cumulus is a really good program, but it doesn't play "nice" with the Win 10 reboot, that's all.
(You could look it up)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

rstetson wrote:When someone posts something other than "see the FAQ" maybe I'll try it again,
That's isn't what I said. I asked you if you had tried it. But good luck with that attitude, maybe someone else will feel like helping you, I certainly won't be.
Steve
rstetson

Post by rstetson »

OK, I do a lot of computer support on accounting systems...

The last thing I say to a client is "read the FAQ" because that is what they pay me to do for them....

As a software professional, I avoid commercial programs where the first question is "Have you read the Doc?" because they should realize that their dealers should be reading the Doc before they call!

For the record, your comment about multiple instances of the program ruining was spot on - on reboot to test the scheduler the issue resolved once all the various programs running went away. I appreciate that you nailed that issue and it is working fine.

But YOU have to realize that by the time one of us posts a question here on the forum, we usually have pored over your documentation and still didn't find the answer. I looked all over the forum to find out how to get Cumulus to start on boot - the solutions presented did not work!

Your comment about Task Scheduler doesn't work when you hit [WinKey} R - which is a shortcut to the windows setups I had to open control panel and behold Schedule works in search - "Task Scheduler" didn't.

Now you and I don't have any control over the "wizards of Washington," but you'd think they'd not remove things as they develop their "better" solutions.

Anyway, sorry for venting, but every user expects you to be able to read minds - something YOU and I know is impossible.

Thanks

rsl
(You could look it up)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I will just give you this one last reply, as much of what you say is wrong/does not apply, in the context of Cumulus:

1. Cumulus is not commercial software.
2. No-one has paid me to read the FAQ for them.
3. Most people have not read any of the documentation before posting here, this is obvious.
4. (Again) I didn't say "Read the FAQ". I asked if you had tried the suggestion on the FAQ. It's not clear whether you had actually tried it, but the implication is from the other things you say about not being able to find Task Scheduler that you had not. If you had tried it, why not say that in your first post? (rhetorical question).
5. Win+R is "Run", not "Search".

That's all I have to say on the matter, I really don't need this kind of hassle when I'm actually providing software and support,and giving up significant amount of my time, for free. The attitude of some people astounds me.
Steve
King
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: W10

Post by King »

In W10, the startup folders accessed through the Shell command only execute the linked shortcut (application) after a User logs in.

Using 'Shell:Startup' or 'Shell:Common Startup' (or accessing the startup folders using File Explorer) does not offer a 'native' startup function that runs an app when the 'Operating System' starts. This feature is called a 'Service' in Windows, not an App. Services are defined as only operating in the background without opening a user interface.

To install CUMULUS as a Service, you need to edit the Registry or use a utility such as SRVSTART.

Regards.
Ollossm
Weather Station: Aercus WS2083
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by Ollossm »

The last thing I say to a client is "read the FAQ" because that is what they pay me to do for them....

As a software professional, I avoid commercial programs where the first question is "Have you read the Doc?" because they should realize that their dealers should be reading the Doc before they call!
You do realise that this is non commercial freeware / shareware where you are not paying for the program, for someone to read the FAQ for you and nor are you paying for anyone to do anything?

I'm new here, my post count shows that, but I too was given a link and asked had it helped and had I seen it....I had not seen it as I was looking for a specific named kit not a generic and therefore had totally missed the relevant FAQ and therefore being pointed towards it was the right thing to do. Can't see what else the chap could have done

I'm amazed at the depth of the FAQ section, the quality of the software, the amount of units it works with and the quality of info in the forums and wiki's....all this for the huge amount of £0.00 - come pay day a donation ill be winging it over. I appreciate you might be having probs etc but I think you may have lost sight of the fact you have paid nothing for the software whilst expecting exacting commercial standards from a chap who gives his time & skill freely.

Anyways hope all problems are resolved, you get station up & running, console talking to PC and can enjoy the weather
cheers
Marc
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

steve wrote:I really don't need this kind of hassle when I'm actually providing software and support,and giving up significant amount of my time, for free. The attitude of some people astounds me.
Ah,,, Yep.
Addressed the same Auto start on boot in 8.1 & solved it relatively quietly.
rstetson wrote: This is Win 10, not Vista so much of the Doc has the wrong info on how to get into the schedulers.
As someone who's spent 27 years in IT & support, when I read a reference that applies to a different OS version than the one I am working with, I consider it my task to interpret the compatibility & relevance issues.

Surely no-one would expect all FAQ's, posts & articles to be indefinitely updated to cover all OS's that may be in use at a given point in time.

And in the case of software available to use for free....

I've made a small donation to Steve for his efforts, and have only one issue with that...

That being I have a slightly guilty conscience in relation to the small amount I contributed in relation to the value I receive from his work.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station: