Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Catch up - not working suddenly + wrong data

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
chtrede
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 10

Catch up - not working suddenly + wrong data

Post by chtrede »

Hi there,

I am using Cumuls (currently 1.9.4, build 1099) for quite some time without problems.
I now have two issues, based on the following usage: I disconnect my computer from Internet during night time and also close Cumulus. Normally, in the mornings, when I start Cumulus it loads the old data from the night ("catch up") and then also - when connected to the net - uploads it to Wunderground. Attached three screenshots, 2 general ones and one showing issue 2.

1) For the last two days Cumulus is simply not uploading the catch-up at all and thus these hours also appear "empty" on Wunderground. Anyone an idea?

2) Today Cumulus is suddenly showing a rainfall for yesterday of 8.4 mm - but there was no rainfall and this is also not stored in the PWS anywhere. Where does it come from? It is also not uploaded to Wunderground, so must be a bug in Cumulus?

Cheers
Christian

P.S. I also have Easyweather (obviously not runnign simultaneously) installed, if this helps for some error tracking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Catch up - not working suddenly + wrong data

Post by steve »

You have unset 'use data logger', so Cumulus is doing as you say, and not using the data from the station's data logger when it starts up. So you have gaps in your data, and the other problems you have mentioned.
Steve
chtrede

Post by chtrede »

Thanks Steve.
It was never switched on and it worked. I switched it on now and it is not loading any "catch-up". Reinstalled Cumulus and at least the 8.4 mm rain error is gone, however, the catc-up still not working :-(
If I do not close Cumulus, just cut the internet connection, it is the same problem when reconnecting to the internet. No log data from weather station loaded. If I then close and restart Cumulus.... not working either.

I am really a bit lost now after such a long time, as Cumulus pops ups new errors every day. Now it gives me 3 mm rain for today, althoug the 3 mm were yesterday. I obviuosly does not recognize midnight as the change of day :-( LOgs roll over on midnight is enabled. If I now manually delete this wrong Today's rain (thorugh edit menu), it deducts it from total (then total is wrong), but still shows the correct 3 mm for the last 24 hours.

Thanks
Christian
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cumulus downloads logger data (and attempts to send it to WU if 'catch up' is selected) when it starts up having been closed down properly previously. It downloads only the logger data from the period between it being closed and being started. If you are causing other issues (force closing the internet connection, disconnecting the station, etc) it does not download any logger data and hence things like the end of day rollover will be affected and hence daily rainfall totals will be incorrect.

If given the above you still believe you are having a problem, please zip up the diags folder and attach it to a post in this thread, and I'll take a look.
Steve
chtrede

Post by chtrede »

Here you go.
I am closing Cumulus correctly all the time. It just now did some catch-up for the last minutes when I was offline, however, all the last night never got "caught up".

Cheers
Christian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

You have installed Cumulus to the Program Files directory - that will be causing you problems, the installation instructions tell you not to do this.

Also you are allow the computer to Sleep whilst Cumulus is running - again not supported.
chtrede

Post by chtrede »

Thanks, Mark. Strangly enough, it worked like this for the past 14 months without any problems...
Which files do I need to safe in order to have all of them for a new installation outside the program folder?

Cheers
C
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Just copy the lot over to the new folder. You may find that your data files are in C:\ProgramData\Cumulus though - which is why Cumulus can't find them. ProgramData is hidden by default in Explorer.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

chtrede wrote:Thanks, Mark. Strangly enough, it worked like this for the past 14 months without any problems...
You can get away with having Cumulus in Program Files for the most part, as long as you always start it the same way. You definitely can't get away with allowing your PC to sleep overnight while Cumulus is running (as you did last night), so that hasn't been happening for the last 14 months if you haven't had any problems.
Steve
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

chtrede wrote:Thanks, Mark. Strangly enough, it worked like this for the past 14 months without any problems...
Which files do I need to safe in order to have all of them for a new installation outside the program folder?

Cheers
C
have you updated Windows 10 recently, you might find one of the updates has changed local policies perhaps?
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •