Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Transmitter Problems after Battery Change

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
cancunia
Weather Station: fine offset
Operating System: RPI B+

Transmitter Problems after Battery Change

Post by cancunia »

I have a Clas Ohlson WH1080 which was working fine for over a year. A while ago the battery low warning indicator appeared and not surprisingly the display would lose contact from time to time. About 2 weeks ago, I replaced the batteries using Energizer Lithium batteries just like before and all seemed well until this morning when I noticed that the display had lost contact about a day before. I reset the display and contact was restored but only for about an hour during which time the wind direction display was blank.
I'm fairly sure it's not the display as I have 2 and they are both showing the same problem. I'll get up to the transmitter tomorrow to see if anything obvious has happened, but wondered if anyone has had a similar problem and cured it?

Thanks
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Transmitter Problems after Battery Change

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Loss of only the wind direction data can indicate that there is mositure in the wind cable or its connectors (the water conducts a small amount of electricity which changes the measured sensor resistance to a value that doesn't correspond with any of the "normal" 16 directions).

That could indicate that the whole transmitter (circuit board) has got damp (due to rain or very high humidity), so the first thing to try is to bring the transmitter indoors for a few hours to "dry out" and see if that fixes the issue.

Cheers, Alan.
cancunia
Weather Station: fine offset
Operating System: RPI B+

Re: Transmitter Problems after Battery Change

Post by cancunia »

Thanks for your reply Alan, for some reason I didn't get an email notification or would have posted again sooner.
Well, the station has been running fine now for over a week since I took the batteries out and then back in again. I also re-seated both of the sensor cables. It may have been a bit of damp, although I didn't find any or maybe a badly seated battery. In any case, all seems fine for the moment and hopefully if anyone else gets a similar problem they can try what I did with success.