Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Lost external sensor in PCE WS20 (WH1080 clone) - can I test it without wind/rain sensors plugged?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Vathek
Weather Station: PCE FWS-20 = Fine Offset WS1080
Operating System: Windows 10 x64

Lost external sensor in PCE WS20 (WH1080 clone) - can I test it without wind/rain sensors plugged?

Post by Vathek »

Hello,
some days ago my two-years old PCE WS20 weather station (it's a clone o WH1080) lost the external sensor.

This time I cannot sync it anymore, so I removed the thermohygrometer sensor and bring it indoor to try to sync it to the console.

I'm not managing to get any data on the console, even with new alkaline batteries (not rechargable).
At this point I have a question: does the trasmitter NEEDS to be connected to the wind and rain sensors to work? Or it should send at least the out temperature and humidity values?

Because for ease I'm testing it without the raind/wind sesnors plugged (they are still on the roof and I cannot remove them easily) but maybe the sensor do not work wihtout the sensors plugged?

In other words, can you tell me if the sensor should work (an sync to the console receiver) even without wind/rain sensors plugged?
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Re: Lost external sensor in PCE WS20 (WH1080 clone) - can I test it without wind/rain sensors plugged?

Post by Super-T »

It will work without any peripheral sensors. Just show temp & humidity.
What does the red LED do when synching?
Vathek

Re: Lost external sensor in PCE WS20 (WH1080 clone) - can I test it without wind/rain sensors plugged?

Post by Vathek »

The red led seems to behave correctly: fixed for 4 seconds when starting, after a while 5 short flashes, and then a single flash every minute or so.

But the station doesn't receive anything (even after a full day)

I ordered a new trasmitter but at this point I'm wondering if the problem is in the console... so the new trasmitter will be a loss of money... and I will be forced to buy another console too... (And at that point it would be more convenient to buy a whole new station). :roll:
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

The Red LED should flash once exactly every 48 seconds and if it doesn't then you can assume that the Transmitter is "faulty". It might be possible to "clean up" its inside, but normally not much else can be done.

Unfortunately, the correct flashing is not an absolute "guarantee" that it is transmitting correctly, but it would make me "think twice" about buying just a replacement transmitter (unless it could be returned for a refund) instead of a complete new station (at the "right" price).

However, you haven't specifically confirmed that after changing batteries in the Transmitter you MUST Restart the Console, by removing its batteries and the USB cable (at the same time for up to one minute).

Cheers, Alan.
Vathek

Post by Vathek »

You are so right that I was thinking the same about ordering the single trasmitter: I changed my order and ordered a whole new weather station.
(The spare trasmitter was out of stock and it would take weeks to have it, instead PCE Italy division told me they have the complete weather station on stock).

I already tried removing batteries (for this test I don't use USB cable attached) from the console after turning on the trasmitter and nothing changed: no data on the console even after a day.

I'm quite upset because station was working flawlessy for 3 years without any extra maintenance and suddenly after a medium storm stopped sending data to the console. (Only some signal lost from time to time, but I always resolved in 10 minutes switching off and on the console)

Console is alwasys attached to PC with cumulus for 24/24 7/7 and I didn't found any damage on other electrical devices at home. (Neither the computer)
This problem is still a mistery to me... I'll try to do some cross troubleshooting pairing the new weather station parts with possible faulty old ones.
In the meantime I can't record weather data and it's raining heavy in my area :(
Vathek

Post by Vathek »

Well, yesterday I received my new whole weather station.

So I picked up console and transmitter and turned them on: after a couple of seconds they sync themselves. Ok

Then I tried with old trasmitter and new console receiver: no signal.
Then tried with new trasmitter and old console receiver: perfect signal and sync.

So only the old trasmitter was faulty, the old console is working.

No problem at all because at this point I have spare parts for wind and rain sensors, and as a plus I can use both the console receivers: the new one plugged with computer in the attic and the old one in the living room, for my complete satisfaction :D