Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Maplin in administration - where to buy spare parts now?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
kroma
Weather Station: WS1093
Operating System: Windows 10

Maplin in administration - where to buy spare parts now?

Post by kroma »

Hello.

Maplin had always been the place to buy spare parts for my Aercus weather station. I've bought anemometers and a rain gauge but they sold other parts too - all for great prices (£2.49 for an anemometer).

They are currently still trading but all the spares (other than the anemometer) are 'web only' and need to be paid for in advance rather than in store... something I'm not happy to do as the chain could close permanently at any moment.

So, does anybody have any suggestions for where to buy spares from now on?

Thanks,

Kroma
logjam
Weather Station: Homemade station on Raspberry Pi
Operating System: Raspbian on Raspberry Pi

Re: Maplin in administration - where to buy spare parts now?

Post by logjam »

I've put in an order for spare items from Maplins on just that basis. I have an email from them promising delivery by Saturday 10th March. I chose to use 'PayPal', and they shouldn't claim until it is dispatched. If in the event I don't get the goods there is a resolution route to get the money back. I'll let you all know how I get on.

However, your question is still valid. The only place I have found is
https://www.metcheck.co.uk/collections/ ... ccessories

I doubt if we will ever get them as cheap as Maplins
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Rain, wind speed & direction from Clas Ohlson?
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Touchscre ... on/36-3242
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

mcrossley wrote:Rain, wind speed & direction from Clas Ohlson?
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Touchscre ... on/36-3242
looks like they are all out of stock, unfortunately, Maplins was the only real place that kept a supply of Fine offset parts.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

Toxic17 wrote:out of stock
Spare Parts will never be in stock at that retailer. You need to read what Chas Olson say:
Spare parts are not carried in stock in our high street stores or online. Please order them in your store or by phone.
They do have a reputation for dealing with orders fairly quickly, but at a price.
Remember whilst Maplin models use the 433-434 MHz band, Chas Olson models use 868.3 MHz for transmissions, which is why Mark does not identify them as alternative supplier for replacement transmitters and consoles. As other postings on the forum record, there are different transmission protocols depending on when original station was bought, so that complicates matters further. Finally, the way temperature and humidity is measured also varies depending on when it was manufactured, see "Photos of the insides of Fine Offset sensors" topic for more information.
Toxic17 wrote:Maplins was the only real place that kept a supply of Fine offset parts
Maplin too used to supply these parts only by special order a decade ago, but (as recorded in https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9025) demand became high enough for them to justify changing their policy and keeping their whole Fine Offset spares range in stock. It is a reflection of how many Fine Offset stations have been kept going by replacing some sensors! I bet their high stocking levels and guarantees about delivering stuff not in stock have contributed to their financial problems.
Last edited by sfws on Thu 12 Apr 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

sfws wrote:It is a reflection of how many Fine Offset stations have been kept going by replacing some sensors!
An old Fine Offset is like Trigger's broom! :lol:
Last edited by mcrossley on Sun 11 Mar 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

mcrossley wrote:
sfws wrote:It is a reflection of how many Fine Offset stations have been kept going by replacing some sensors!
An old Fine Offset is like Triggers broom! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:
Regards Simon

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

Steepleian
Weather Station: WH2650
Operating System: Debian 9

Post by Steepleian »

Toxic17 wrote:
mcrossley wrote:
An old Fine Offset is like Triggers broom! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:
I wonder how many UK based enthusiasts first cut their teeth on one of these Maplin Fine Offset clones? I bet a high proportion did and certainly I am amongst that number. I still have a fully working machine and a full set of spare parts sitting in graceful retirement in my garage - will have to make sure that it gets an extra layer of protective bubble-wrap!

Ian
ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

Steepleian wrote:I wonder how many UK based enthusiasts first cut their teeth on one of these Maplin Fine Offset clones? I bet a high proportion did and certainly I am amongst that number. I still have a fully working machine and a full set of spare parts sitting in graceful retirement in my garage - will have to make sure that it gets an extra layer of protective bubble-wrap!

Ian
Perhaps a poll is needed:) I too started of with a WH1080 from Maplins. replaced a few parts too. I ended up donating the station as parts to another local weather enthusiast who was running something similar.
Regards Simon

Steepleian

Post by Steepleian »

Toxic17 wrote:
Steepleian wrote:I wonder how many UK based enthusiasts first cut their teeth on one of these Maplin Fine Offset clones? I bet a high proportion did and certainly I am amongst that number. I still have a fully working machine and a full set of spare parts sitting in graceful retirement in my garage - will have to make sure that it gets an extra layer of protective bubble-wrap!

Ian
Perhaps a poll is needed:) I too started of with a WH1080 from Maplins. replaced a few parts too. I ended up donating the station as parts to another local weather enthusiast who was running something similar.
Ok Simon, that’s the two of us for starters, any more takers?

Ian
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I have a FO somewhere in my shed, functioning when I took it down, though the pressure reading on the console was whacky and required quite an offset in Cumulus. It had only had the transmitter replaced once!

EDIT: Oh and I changed the anemometer bearing.
Last edited by mcrossley on Fri 09 Mar 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steepleian

Post by Steepleian »

mcrossley wrote:I have a FO somewhere in my shed, functioning when I took it down, though the pressure reading on the console was whacky and required quite an offset in Cumulus. It had only had the transmitter replaced once!
Three
logjam
Weather Station: Homemade station on Raspberry Pi
Operating System: Raspbian on Raspberry Pi

Post by logjam »

I did receive my order from Maplins so receivership is not affecting mail-order purchases at the moment. In fact Maplins are reducing the prices of everything by 10%. Unfortunately the wind speed gauge is the only spare available at the moment. The entire station is available with a 10% reduction, but still at a higher price than it was at Christmas.
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

Mine still going strong after 10 years! Love the "Trigger's broom" comment. A few spare components from time to time all at ridiculously low prices. I doubt it's cost me more than £15 per year and with a special screen and the ability to calibrate in Cumulus I reckon it beats Davies machines hands down!
hungerdunger
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY (WH-1081)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by hungerdunger »

I don't know whether anyone has highlighted this elsewhere, but those Maplin stores who still have stock of the N96GY are now selling them off at £48, and you can grab a spare anemometer for £1.00. It appears you can't order online, but you can check stock in your local stores here:
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-usb-wi ... ntre-n96gy
Capel Dewi (Carmarthen) Weather Station:
https://twitter.com/CapelDewiWeathr