Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Raspberry PI link to weather station using the supplied transmitter?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
AndyCon
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY
Operating System: Vista

Post by AndyCon »

Has anyone managed to receive the signal directly from the weather station (Maplin N96GY) onto a Raspberry PI so as to by pass the receiver/display? I have looked on a few internet forums but cannot see a route to do this without mounting the Raspberry PI outside with the weather station, then using WIFI to upload the data directly.
edwardandtubs
Weather Station: wh1080
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Re: Raspberry PI link to weather station using the supplied transmitter?

Post by edwardandtubs »

Have you seen this?. I've not read it thru fully, but wondered if it'd be of help. I'm hoping to do something similar as my console is kaput!

http://www.susa.net/wordpress/2012/08/r ... nd-rfm12b/
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Ah yes, I thought I'd answered that question.

One of the hazards of an OP asking the same question in more than one thread. ;)

Cheers, Alan.
watsonm
Weather Station: N96GY -but like Triggers Broom!!
Operating System: Raspberry Pi4 Vers:11 Bullseye

Post by watsonm »

I am aware this is an old post but in the light of newer hardware and software.....

I'm currently using a USB radio dongle to capture the radio signals from a Maplins N96GY using rtl433 on a raspberry pi.

USB radio device is an RTL-SDR RTL2832U DVB-T Tuner Dongles

This is a lockdown/retirement project to keep me relatively sane.

* Searched for RTL433 and loaded it into Pi
* Searched for HiveMQ broker for RTL433 to publish data to
* Wrote python script to subscribe to the broker and read the RTL433 published data
(obviously this could done without the broker but I am familiar with broker pub/sub)
* Python script creates Easyweather.dat file for CumulusMX to read.
* Currently waiting for a pressure sensor to hook into it.
This will need another python script to read the pressure and then publish it to the same broker for it to be picked up by the first python script.

Current Progress:
The display on the left is from one Raspberry pi box which is USB connected to the Maplins supplied Weather Console.
The display on the right is from another pi box which is connected the the RTL dongle. The pressure numbers on this display come from the left hand CumulusMX which
is sending the pressure data to the hiveMQ broker as a temporary measure until I get the Waveshare BMP388 pressure and temperature chip to attach to the pi.
Because of timing differences between the two setups in reading the console and the broker there is usually a delay and delta between the displays. This usually
only last for 30 seconds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by watsonm on Mon 31 Jan 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Looks like that will keep you busy. :)
watsonm

Post by watsonm »

Pleased to say I have it working now on a Pi 4 using python scripts.

Radio signals from Maplins Fine Offset transmitter picked up by RTL dongle and published to HiveMQ MQTT broker.
Indoor temperature and pressure sensor readings retrieved from BMP388 and also published to MQTT broker.

MQTT broker subscribed to by another python script which creates the Easyweather.dat file and places it in the CumulusMX directory.
CumulusMX configured to read Easyweather.dat file and display as normal.

Interestingly the calibration settings for the pressure is +14 in the unit reading the console and 13 in the unit read the BMP sensor and
they do track within a few tenths of millibars (so far!)

The biggest challenge unsurprisingly was sorting the software out for the BMP388.
Not many software examples around and I had to debug one of the examples to make it work .

Pressure Sensor:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WENDi-BMP388-B ... B07QW1449Z

HiveMQ Broker:
https://bit.ly/3sbTxVJ

Leaving them running side by side for a while to see how the pressures track each other.
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor
watsonm

Post by watsonm »

Update:

Just updated my setup to use Ecowitt HTTP protocol rather than Easweather.dat file to allow me to add a few more sensors.

Lightning detector on its way!
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye