Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Which transmitter?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
DevonMan
Weather Station: Maplin Fine Offset WH1081
Operating System: Win XP, Win 10, Mint

Which transmitter?

Post by DevonMan »

I have a Maplin badged Fine Offset weather station. It's not got the radio clock so I'm guessing that it's the WH1081 (N96FY) equivalent?
BTW, it's the grey one with black console, I bought it in January 2014.
My problem is that the battery compartment has cracked around the base. This means that the batteries are not in firm contact, because the battery springs mean the case flexes backwards resulting in loss of signal.
When I get hold of one, I intend to try a separate external battery box soldered onto the existing contacts. (I'm no expert, but do have some experience).
In case that doesn't work I've been looking for a replacement transmitter but it's a minefield.
According to the instruction manual mine is 433MHz.
Now that Maplin's have gone where do I find the exact one I require?
For example there are two on this page both visually identical to mine and 433MHz. https://www.greenfrogscientific.co.uk/accessories/
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Which transmitter?

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

If the present transmitter was sold by Maplin in 2014 then it will use the "new" (OOK) Wireless Protocol (and 433MHz). Therefore it looks as if the Aercus replacement for the 2083 / 1093 should be suitable (but make sure you can return it if it isn't).

These FO transmitters send separate data packets for "Weather", RCC and Solar data (at different times), so it probably doesn't matter if RCC or even Solar (308x models) data is also supported (thus, either of those Greenfrog replacements may well work). The solar data is generated by the "Pod" which just "borrows" the transmitter via a contact in the 6-pin Rain socket/cable.

However, some stations have an anemometer without a wind Vane, and the (replacement) transmitters for these are NOT compatible, nor are the 868 and 915 MHz versions, of course.

Cheers, Alan.
DevonMan

Post by DevonMan »

Thanks for the reply.
I've ordered a battery box from ebay and will try that first.
I'm hoping that the flexing hasn't damaged the circuit board inside the transmitter.
That's good to know regarding the Greenfrog replacements.
I know a little bit, but you know what they say about a little knowledge. :)
DevonMan

Post by DevonMan »

A quick update.
I bought a battery box from ebay, but then I decided to have a go at repairing the transmitter battery compartment.
First, I gave it a good clean, then used some decent quality gel type super glue to stick it all back together.
I then cut some thin strips from a margarine container and stuck these on top of the repair to beef it up.
I had to shim up the bottom battery contacts to get them level.
I then set it all up again and am pleased to say it's only logged 3 missed transmissions in the last 30 hours.