If you use Cumulus, please donate Image

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Photos of the insides of Fine Offset sensors.

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Photos of the insides of Fine Offset sensors.

Postby AllyCat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 am

Hi,

AFAIK, FO manufacture stations with one of three carrier frequencies, loosely related to the "brand" and the region of the World: 434 MHz for Australia, etc., 868 MHz for "Europe" and 915 MHz for the Americas. The majority of UK sales used to be 434 MHz but there seems to have been some move towards 868 MHz (perhaps due to the very high usage of 434 MHz by other applications).

The 308x seems most prevalent in Australia and I don't think I've ever seen reference to one using other than 434 MHz. My UK-sourced 3080 uses 434 MHz but the issues with the early stations were so severe that most suppliers now refuse to stock them, or sell at an unreasonable price (around twice that of a touchscreen 108x).

IIRC, the OOK data protocol nominally uses 0.5 ms pulses of carrier with gaps between them of either 0.5 ms for a "1" or 1.5 ms for a "0". The microcontroller timing should be quite accurate, but the analogue modulation/detection imtroduces timing delays which may increase/decrease those times by a few hundred microseconds. AFAIK tbere is no "pause" as such; the gap between repeated packets may be around 100 ms.

The 3080 transmits three different "messages" with different addresses (better described as a "signature") and data lengths: the Solar packet once every minute, the "normal" packet every 48 seconds but replaced by the "RCC" packet for a few minutes after each hour or two. The latter two packets are compatible with the newer 1080/1 touchscreen models.

Cheers, Alan.

Mike60
Weather Station: WH-2080, WS-2357.
Operating System: W7-Pro

Postby Mike60 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Sorry if I make a mistake and post here :-(
Please can you help me ? For Fine Offset WH-2080 - 868 MHz.
It is possible to send more often signal from sensor to base ? To change something hardware inside the sensor ?

I have another working weather station La Crosse WS-2357 with data sending ~ 60" without cable and ~ 8" with connected cable to the base.

Both are installed in Surrey :-)

Thank you in advance
Mike

AllyCat

Postby AllyCat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi Mike,

No, sorry it's not possible, the period is programmed directly into the microntroller.

But anyway, the Console receiver only "listens" for a brief period every 48 seconds (to save battery power), even if powered by the USB cable, so that microcontroller also would need to be changed. If the microcontrollers had any reprogramming capability, then there might not be as many bugs in the software. ;)

Cheers, Alan.

Mike60

Postby Mike60 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:01 pm

AllyCat wrote:Hi Mike,

No, sorry it's not possible, the period is programmed directly into the microntroller.

But anyway, the Console receiver only "listens" for a brief period every 48 seconds (to save battery power), even if powered by the USB cable, so that microcontroller also would need to be changed. If the microcontrollers had any reprogramming capability, then there might not be as many bugs in the software. ;)

Thank you for replay.
So it is not appropriate to La Crosse :-(.
Why I ask ?
Please look attachment. There are 4 ( four ) empty pins. On the left side of this pins are place for two semiconductors. On right side a black wires to DCF77 clock sensor.
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mike60 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mike60

Postby Mike60 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Frequency are 868MHz.
I know this are only for sending data not for how many time are sending on minute / hour.
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike60

Postby Mike60 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:19 pm

An reverse side of sensor

AllyCat

Postby AllyCat » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi,

Mike60 wrote:There are 4 ( four ) empty pins.

Some of the FO PCBs have lots of spare pads (particularly the Solar Pod) but even FO don't seem to ever use them!

But don't just believe me, the same question was answered at the top of page 3 of this thread. IMHO, all of Mr Sneezy's "speculation" is correct (except that the transmitters do have an address/signature, so the Console/receiver shouldn't lock onto a "wrong" transmitter).

Changing the frequency of the "master" oscillator(s), even assuming that all the components can work at a much higher frequency, would also affect the RF data rate, the Wind/Gust measurement interval (hence windspeed calibration), probably the Console Logging interval and maybe even the "real time" clock display, etc..

Cheers, Alan.

Return to “Fine Offset/EasyWeather”