Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus page erroneous forecast

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
firedude52
Weather Station: Ambient WS 2080
Operating System: Win7 Home Edition

Cumulus page erroneous forecast

Post by firedude52 »

Good day all.. hope all is well!

I ticked the cumulus forecast check box in the station screen as my Cumulus page said "forecast not available". What it put in there was "fine, possible showers"? Not even close... no rain in forecast for 7 days ;) I took the check out of the cumulus forecast box on the station screen and that erroneous forecast remains? I even did a web update twice. It's been close to a couple hours now. Any ideas on how to get it back to "forecast not available"?

Tony
http://morrobayweather.us/
http://morrobayweather.us/cumulus/index.htm
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Cumulus page erroneous forecast

Post by daj »

The Pressure Extremes are important in the configuration section. I am guessing yours are wrong

from the help...

Set the minimum and maximum pressures expected in your part of the world. The default values are expected to be suitable for the UK and similar latitudes, but you may wish to experiment. You can supply the extremes in either "mb" (which is the same as hPa) or "in" (inches of mercury), but make sure that the values you supply match the units you select. The units you use here are not related to the units you use for pressure in Cumulus; the option is given here simply as a convenience.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
firedude52

Post by firedude52 »

Thanks David, will check the pressures again, but believe the figures are pretty accurate (close). Is there a way though to turn the Cumulus forecast off and putting it back to the default of "forecast not available"? I might hard code a link to my Wunderground forecast page in that space in the css. Mine are in inches and should be pretty darn close to what they should be on extremes (I think). I'll do more verifying though, but in the meantime would like it set back at default "forecast unavailble". ;)
firedude52

Post by firedude52 »

OOPS :lol: As I was typing my response I see my bro already hard cded a link for me. Thanks David, I'll do some research on the pressure extremes. 8-) Well it seems he hard coded it then removed it?

Tony
http://morrobayweather.us/cumulus/index.htm
http://morrobayweather.us/
firedude52

Post by firedude52 »

David, any idea where I could get the estimated extreme pressures for the central Calif coast? I'm 30' above sea level.

Tony
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Post by Synewave »

Tony,

After checking your pressure settings, give the Cumulus forecast a go. It is pretty accurate for me.
firedude52

Post by firedude52 »

Thanks Paul. I thought they were withing range, but evidentally not. I need to find out somewhere what our extremes might be, just don't know where to look. I'm checking.....

Tony
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

I had a quick look for other users sites in the Wiki page...http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Cumulus_Us ... ted_States

and found these (pressure at the bottom of the page). It might not be perfect but possibly a start. Of course you need to ensure you are both measuring to the same scale (inches, mb, etc)

http://www.tonys-house.com/weather/record.htm
http://www.volcano.net/~gabrielle/weather/record.htm
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
firedude52

Post by firedude52 »

National Weather Service in Oxnard is going to call be back shortly with the data :clap:
firedude52

Post by firedude52 »

OK Oxnard NWS called back and gave me pretty accurate data for my area. I entered it and did a web update so lets see if it changes. My extremes that I thought wre correct were just that EXTREME. :lol: I was way off so we'll see if it updates.....

On edit....... it's fine now and say fine weather ;) Thanks David for keying me in as I thought i was within reason on my reading, but was way off :(

Tony
Last edited by firedude52 on Thu 11 Nov 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firedude52

Post by firedude52 »

When in Cumulus and say do things like change the pressure extremes or tick and untick the forecast box is it necessary to do a forced web update each time or will it update on it's own?
Synewave
Weather Station: Watson W-8681
Operating System: Raspian

Post by Synewave »

It will do a web update automatically at the next slot for the interval you have set (i.e. x configured mins after the last update). Doing a 'forced' update uploads the files immediately
firedude52

Post by firedude52 »

Steve..... OK... I put in the correct extremes and the forecast changed to fine and now the showers thing is back in again. My readings are correct per the National Weather Service here. I'll let it ride a while, but if it doesn't settle down I'd like to change it back to the default. How can I reset the default to "Forecast not available"??
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I'll just add my usual comment here that the forecast is 'just for fun'. Some people find it gives good results for them, but basically you can't expect miracles from a few lines of code and a home weather station. There's no way that it can take account of the varying local weather scenarios all over the world.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

firedude52 wrote:How can I reset the default to "Forecast not available"??
You'll have to restart Cumulus; if you turn the forecast off with a station which doesn't supply a forecast itself, it will just continue to display the last forecast it calculated.
Steve