Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain Rate for Fine Offset - Steve

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Rain Rate for Fine Offset - Steve

Post by MickinMoulden »

G'day Steve, I know we had this chat a loooong time ago, but I wanted to know something that just occured to me. The formula that Cumulus uses to work out the rain rate for Fine Offset models, will the modification (assuming correct) of the rain gauge to 0.1mm tips (calibration of 0.3333333) lower the figure for rain rate? I didn't think it would mater, but just wanted to check. I'm having it bucket down today and only reach half of my record. Shall I put in a request re:new rain rate calculations for Fine Offset? (you had mentioned you had worked out how to do this).
Thanks Steve.
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Rain Rate for Fine Offset - Steve

Post by steve »

MickinMoulden wrote:G'day Steve, I know we had this chat a loooong time ago, but I wanted to know something that just occured to me. The formula that Cumulus uses to work out the rain rate for Fine Offset models, will the modification (assuming correct) of the rain gauge to 0.1mm tips (calibration of 0.3333333) lower the figure for rain rate?
It won't make any difference, because the amount of rain recorded for any given period should be exactly the same, assuming the correct calibration figure is entered for the modified size of rain collector, and assuming there isn't a bug in the code.
Shall I put in a request re:new rain rate calculations for Fine Offset? (you had mentioned you had worked out how to do this).
I wrote the code a long time ago, and it worked. But there were some situations at start up when the calculation gave silly results, so I had to take it out again. At some point I'll look at it again.
Steve
hometlc
Weather Station: Ambient WS2080
Operating System: Windows 7, OSX, Rasp Pi

Post by hometlc »

I am using that Ambient Weather WS2080 that uses the Fine Offset configuration and I am getting silly rain results as well. I am not sure what to do.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

hometlc wrote:I am using that Ambient Weather WS2080 that uses the Fine Offset configuration and I am getting silly rain results as well. I am not sure what to do.
It would be better to start a new thread for your problem and post some information about what exactly you are seeing and why you think the data is wrong.
Steve
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

But first ensure that the rain gauge is firmly located (NOT on a flexing mast), read the FAQs and search the forum for "spiders", etc..

Cheers, Alan.