Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Help for newbie please

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Help for newbie please

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Martin,

Not quite. Set your time zone one hour behind the transmitted (European) time signal, i.e. to -1.

Cheers, Alan.
metroman

Post by metroman »

Hi Alan,
Just done that, clock has picked up time signal okay and showing correct time. Another thing if you can help. I have the following error in cumulus: Ignoring dubious relative pressure reading, using offset of zero instead. Check your relative pressure setting on your console. What should I have the pressure set at? Thanks again Alan.
Martin
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Martin,

Set the console to display Relative Pressure and change the displayed value (using the +/- pads) to correspond with the current pressure from a local Met station (preferably when the value is reasonably constant).

More details for example in http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#Cumulu ... et_console.

Cheers, Alan.
metroman

Post by metroman »

Thanks again Alan i will try that..
Martin

____
metroman

Post by metroman »

Alan,
Pressure is reading okay now. Also, should I have the wind speed set to average or Gust? When it is set to gust, wind speed reads the same on console and cumulus.
Martin
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

metroman wrote:Also, should I have the wind speed set to average or Gust? When it is set to gust, wind speed reads the same on console and cumulus.
As far as Cumulus is concerned, it doesn't matter which you have on the display, and you can switch between them as you wish.

Here's a FAQ which explains how the wind speeds work in Cumulus: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#What_d ... tations.3F

If you choose to have Cumulus calculate the average speed, you may find you have better (more realistic) results if you also select 'use speed for average calculation'.
Steve
metroman

Post by metroman »

Thanks for all that. Everything seems to be working okay now.
Martin
metroman

Post by metroman »

Hi,
We have had some rain here in the North East today, but the rain gauge has not shown any on the console--Is there anything that I am doing wrong!! Thanks
Martin
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Perhaps you haven't had enough rain. It takes a surprising amount of rain to make 0.3 mm. Have you had any rain recorded at all, ever?
Steve
metroman

Post by metroman »

Hi,
It is actually showing 0.3mm now!! But how often does rain actually fall vertically, so you would never get a true reading. It did rain here this morning, but not much. Thanks.
Martin
hectic
Weather Station: WH-3080
Operating System: windows vista

Post by hectic »

metroman wrote:Hi,
i am about to start setting up my WH1080 weather station. I am planning to mount it on the garden shed. It will be about 10ft above the shed, and I was planning to site the transmitter unit under some shade, I have made a stevenson screen which I may use. Does anyone have any tips on the setting up of the WH1080? I am a complete newbie at weather stations. Thanks
Martin
Hi there i havnt been doing this for very long but one of the main things that you need to do is make sure that your temperture sensor is shielded from direct radiation from the sun as you will get very bad readings that are not true to the current conditions.
A stevensons screen is a brilliant idea and should work well. I am at the moment making a screen for mine and it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.
I run my software from a note book because then i can constantly retrieve info from the station to cumulus with no interuptions from power failure or computer shutdown.
I have a key meter for my electric and this is why i use the notebook because it has the battery to back it up.
The notebook is set on a plug in timer so that it is not constantly charging all the time and gives the battery some chance to discharge to a reasonable level before recharging.
The wind speed sensor needs to be as high as possible away from buildings, trees and other obstructions, this also applys to the direction sensor.
The rain gauge needs to be on a solid surface to avoid it being shaken by the wind as you may get false readings from high winds.
i am sure that you will receive more usful info from other users. G
Good luck and have fun.
metroman

Post by metroman »

Thanks. I have mine set up on my garden shed. I have the temp sensor shielded from direct sunlight. Everything appears to be working fine now.
Martin
metroman

Post by metroman »

Hi,
Twice today Cumulus has shown an error(lost sensor contact) but everything is still working okay. What could be the problem? Thanks
Martin
kevinlufc
Weather Station: WH1090PC
Operating System: Win 7

Post by kevinlufc »

Hi guys, had my weather station since Christmas. Everything seems to be working fine. With one exception. The time on the console has not "synced" remotely, if that make sense. I had a Accitime unit prior and that kept time to the second. With this unit I have to correct the time every few days (only seconds, call it OCD).

Any help appreciated.

Kevin

Fine Offset WH1090
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Kevin,

The antenna for the Radio Controlled Clock is located in the external transmitter unit and is directional. The optimum direction may well be in conflict with FO's recommendation to point the PV cell towards the south on "solar" units. There are varous posts on this forum suggesting the correct directionality of the RCC antenna, but IMHO the simplest solution is to try rotating the external tansmitter unit by 60 - 90 degrees around the vertical axis. You may need to wait overnight for lower radio interference and/or for the software to check the RCC.

Cheers, Alan.

PS for Martin. Your wireless link is probably not working as well as it should be. Similarly rotating the transmitter and/or console/receiver might help.