Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH1091 batteries getting low - how to replace and resume?

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
fractonimbus
Weather Station: WH1091
Operating System: Windows 7 on a Dell Vostro

WH1091 batteries getting low - how to replace and resume?

Post by fractonimbus »

My WH1091 has been operating very reliably since early February last year, but it's starting to report lost sensor contact every day or so, which I take as an indicator that the batteries are running low. Sooner rather than later I'll probably have to get up on the roof and change the batteries. I presume this will involve a complete memory loss on the part of the sensor system?

Is that correct, and if so, how to I get it to resume where it left off? I'm not sure where the calibration settings are stored. If in the console unit, that may be ok.

Advice appreciated.

DN
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: WH1091 batteries getting low - how to replace and resume

Post by AllyCat »

fractonimbus wrote:I presume this will involve a complete memory loss on the part of the sensor system?
Hi,

Not necessarily. Most data is stored in the Console (and by Cumulus) and because the external sensor module consumes very little power except when transmitting you may be able to avoid even a reset if you proceed as follows:

Remove the "sun screen", unplug the Wind cable (Rain doesn't matter, unless it's actually raining) and remove the battery cover. Wait until the TX LED flashes and immediately remove one of the AA cells and replace it with a fresh one. Wait for the next flash and change the other (or you can try changing both at the same time if you feel lucky). Refit the cover, plug in the cable(s) and refit the sun screen.

Now go to the Console and see if it's still upding. If it is then there's nothing more to do.

If after about 5 minutes you get the infamous "--" on the LCD then you need to close Cumulus, unplug the USB cable and remove (at least) one battery from the Console. Wait a minute or two, reinsert the batteries (or this might be a good time to change these as well unless you run the Cumulus 24/7), reset the date/time on the Console and you may need to change the Console display settings, relative pressure, etc..

Then reconnect the USB cable and run Cumulus. Check for any unexpected glitches in the readings (particularly rain), but there are plenty of threads, etc. (or ask here) if any records need to be edited.

Cheers, Alan.
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

Thanks, Alan, that was exactly the information I needed.

DN
wd40
Weather Station: WS2080
Operating System: W7

Post by wd40 »

Me too, Thanks Alan. Mine are about 18 months old Lithium batteries and of late I am loosing sensor contact about once or twice a day. Luckily, the transmitter is located just five feet above the ground.

I think I am going to shut down Cumulus, unplug from the USB then put the console well within range to make sure it picks up quickly. I am not too concerned about the lose of a little data.
fractonimbus

Re: WH1091 batteries getting low - how to replace and resume?

Post by fractonimbus »

And through the wonders of Google, I found this thread again the next time I needed to change the batteries. Thanks again. System still working after 7 years.