Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

No Data Transmitter / Receiver Issue

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Buford T. Justice
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1002
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

No Data Transmitter / Receiver Issue

Post by Buford T. Justice »

Hello. I just bought a Dr. Tech WH1080PC Weather Station. I hooked everything up two days ago. I was receiving data on the station display but it was intermittent. I tried 1.5v alkalines and 1.2v NiMH rechargeables in both the transmitter and display. Now I am no longer getting any data to display.

I am not sure if I have a faulty transmitter or if the display has an issue. I opened up the transmitter and I see no loose wires and the solder looks good.

I bought it off eBay and have been in contact with the seller originally about the screws not being long enough and the poles not having a notch for the mount for the wind sensors. I have not heard back yet on the sensor.

When everything was working, it was working great! So I am utterly confused why it has gone south.
Buford T. Justice

Re: No Data Transmitter / Receiver Issue

I am sure the transmitter is bad. It is 433 MHz USA. Might anyone have links to a supplier who sells these so I can get a replacement? I wonder if I could get one direct from Dr. Tech or Fine Offset?
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Try the base through a mains adaptor, and DON'T use NiMH (the V is too low for comfort). If the base is close to a tower PC, try moving it a bit nearer to a window or whatever.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Hopefully you didn't install a battery reverse polarity when changing transmitter batteries?
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

The order you put the batteries into the two units is important - put the batteries in the outdoor unit first (you should see a few LED blinks) then put the batteries in the indoor unit. Be careful not to touch the display until they are synced. If you do, start over. It can take up to 5 minutes to sync up. Make life easier for the unit by having the indoor and outdoor units fairly close together when syncing. This might mean taking the indoor unit outside to the transmitter site until they sync.

As mentioned, NiMH is a bad idea; their voltage is too low and their self discharge rates are too high. Use alkalines or better yet lithiums. I'm not sure if putting batteries in the wrong way can damage the unit. It does not seem to have protection from this, and I'm not willing to sacrifice one to find out :? I'm sure somebody has done it, but I don't recall any posts admitting it.
sanramonrover
Weather Station: 265NC
Operating System: dreaded Win 7

Post by sanramonrover »

I am very sure that putting the batteries in my TX is what caused it to fail. :bash:
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Very easy to do.
Double check ever time that direction is correct.
Sounds like it is toast
Buford T. Justice

This unit is being RMA'd back to the seller.

Does anyone know of companies in the USA that sell similar or identical units that utilize 433 MHz? I have found Ambient Weather and Weather Wise.

I see there is a WS-2080, but I hate the orange or green labels used on the display.

I like the layout of the 1080/1090 better, but I want radio date/time synchronization.

The thing that sucks most is the unit I am returning does everything I want, but the transmitter is shot and the seller appears to not have any more left.
sanramonrover
Weather Station: 265NC
Operating System: dreaded Win 7

Post by sanramonrover »

Probably a bit late for you now, but I just found this in the Easy Weather instructions :evil:

QUOTE:
Insert two AA batteries in the thermo-hygrometer, as shown in Figure 7. The transmitter LED will
light up momentarily (4 seconds), and then flash once every 48 seconds for each transmission update.

Note: Do not install the batteries backwards. You can permanently damage the
thermo-hygrometer. Do not use rechargeable batteries.

Note: We recommend installing Lithium AA batteries:
END QUOTE
ejay
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by ejay »

It comes down to poor design. Surely it wouldn't take much effort to design the battery compartment so the positive contact spring is recessed, thereby preventing contact with the AA cell should it be inserted with reverse polarity.

You get what you pay for. Otherwise, it is a ploy by FOSHK to increase revenue by deliberately allowing a reversed battery to damage their products so a customer will make another purchase because the damage was not covered under warranty (misuse)....
Buford T. Justice

I am positive I never put the batteries in backwards. I think the transmitter was just plain old defective.

I went ahead and ordered this as a replacement...

http://weatherwiseinstruments.com/pro-w ... s2080.html