Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Gauge Suggestions

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
glen.day
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/Vue
Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Gauge Suggestions

Post by glen.day »

Steve,

I like the look of the "Real Time" gauges for wind direction and wind speed on the "Gauges" page (down the bottom), do you know what will look really cool if you could put the style of the real-time gauges on the Cumulus GUI instead on the ones with the grey squares around them.

Another suggestion - and yes I know its called the gauges tab but I think it would be cool if you can have digital readouts of all your gauges.

Glen
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Gauge Suggestions

Post by steve »

glen.day wrote:I like the look of the "Real Time" gauges for wind direction and wind speed on the "Gauges" page (down the bottom), do you know what will look really cool if you could put the style of the real-time gauges on the Cumulus GUI instead on the ones with the grey squares around them.
The problem is that different technologies are involved in producing the two sets of gauges (the web ones are Flash and the Cumulus ones are Delphi VCL). My lack of artistic ability confines me to using (free or cheap) existing components, or at least existing ones with source that I can easily modify myself.
Another suggestion - and yes I know its called the gauges tab but I think it would be cool if you can have digital readouts of all your gauges.
Do you mean like Kevin has done with his PHP pages - http://cumulus.tnetweather.com/phpversion/gauges.php ?

Steve
Steve
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

What component would allow you to make better graphs if cost wasn't the issue?

Would they/it be compatible with future development if you moved to MS Studio Net?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

TNETWeather wrote:What component would allow you to make better graphs if cost wasn't the issue?
I haven't really investigated the commercial offerings too much. Typically, there seems to be a lack of gauges that are appropriate for weather applications. As far as graphs go, I'm not sure there's anything better than the one supplied with Delphi (which is a basic version of Steema's Teechart). Ideally, what we need is a Delphi expert with graphics ability who could write some custom components.
Would they/it be compatible with future development if you moved to MS Studio Net?
Almost certainly not. Even if the same product had Delphi and .net versions, it would be a separate licence for each.

My Cumulus 2 prototype is written using Microsoft's new(ish) Windows Presentation Foundation. I chose that because it seemed ideally suited towards applications whose main function was to present data, and it does seem to make creating good-looking applications easier, even for klutzes like me. It does tend to be rather more resource hungry than Delphi, though.

Steve
Steve
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

steve wrote:
TNETWeather wrote: My Cumulus 2 prototype is written using Microsoft's new(ish) Windows Presentation Foundation. I chose that because it seemed ideally suited towards applications whose main function was to present data, and it does seem to make creating good-looking applications easier, even for klutzes like me. It does tend to be rather more resource hungry than Delphi, though.
Not familiar with Windows Presentation Foundation, though I have not really done any code development in the Windows Environment. All my experience is on the Unix side of code development.

I've got MS Studio Net, but have never really used it.