Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus ‘Current Conditions’ Alternative v3.0

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Re: Cumulus ‘Current Conditions’ Alternative v3.0

Post by beteljuice »

A link to your page please kapo, and where in Finland are you ?

Halfway down this page are the official 'daylight' times for Helsinki http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/finland/helsinki and here is Rovaniemi http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/finland/rovaniemi

If your 'daylight' is actually quite dim weak, the script will say it's twilight.
You may need to reduce this variable in the script:

Code: Select all

$twilightThreshold = 25; // approx. Solar Rad value at Sunrise / Sunset
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
kapo
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by kapo »

Everything is o.k. now. I was just a little too hasty, as always. Thank you for your quick answer.
beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

It is worth mentioning that this script not only 'guesses' twilight, but also will use the phrase to describe any 'low light' situation (Neither light nor dark) with the exception of (guessed) fog and rain.

So ....
Several weeks gone and over 50 global downloads.

Feedback time please ...

Is it getting things right
  • most of time
    half and half
    some of the time
    bloody useless !

and if there is one particular thing that is consistantly wrong for you, what are the circumstances and a page link please ;)
Last edited by beteljuice on Sun 08 Feb 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterP

Post by PeterP »

Well done Team Jenny/Beteljuice ( and others)!

This is a real handy piece of work. It gives that "I'm on the ball" feel to my website due to its ever-changing dynamic. I'm seriously impressed, there are some clever people out there!

I only installed it this afternoon ( installation was a piece of cake thanks to super-easy to follow instructions) and so I have yet to witness the full array of conditions. I fortunately do have a solar sensor so that was good, and I use the saratoga templates so there were specific instructions around inserting the script into that.

The hardest part was where to put the code in ajax-dashboard.php, but I got it right first time, I just kept the out-of the-box template current conditions icon and replaced the standard summary text with this one.

As this was a call for feedback, I would comment also that I contribute to the New Zealand Local Weather live map, http://www.localweather.net.nz/smf/new- ... r-network/ and if there is a to-do list in regard to enhancements, it would be great if us cumulus users could use this new "current conditions" tool to contribute these conditions into that live map. I have ticked the realtime box in Cumulus/configure/internet/files/ccdata but the map doesnt seem to pick that up.

Again, well done, love your work!

Peter
beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

... use this new "current conditions" tool to contribute these conditions into that live map.
The maps (in various parts of the world) use a specific format of data and thus give a 'fixed' display o/p.

There are various softwares supplying data to the maps, some give textual current conditions, some don't, some can be calculated, but the authors thus far have (wisely) decided to leave it alone. Another problem would be translations ...

So no integration ....
jdc
Weather Station: Davis VP2 : Instromet
Operating System: Win 10

Post by jdc »

beteljuice wrote: Feedback time please ...
I downloaded this a wee while ago and as far as I have observed, it's pretty much spot-on. Very smart work again - thankyou.
beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

Many thanks for your feedback.

Although you have caused me some grief in the past I appreciate that it is because you take your 'weather' seriously ;)
colinpb
Weather Station: VP2+SHT31+DFars+Solar+AeroCone
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by colinpb »

Very easy to install, excellent addition to my website. It never ceases to amaze me what can be achieved when you have the ability for computer coding.

The only comment I have is that on occasions, first thing in the morning, it tends to report sunny when its actually cloudy; only lasts around 10 minutes. It’s as though it’s not checking the #isSunny webtag, though I suspect the inaccuracy of the VP2 sensor readings in the first hour doesn’t help when coding for sun or no sun. I no longer use a VP2 solar threshold; I use a max solar threshold for greater consistency and accuracy.

Colin
beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

... first thing in the morning, it tends to report sunny when its actually cloudy; only lasts around 10 minutes.
That's actually pretty good :D

Caparison is made between sensor reading and calculated, theoretical CurrentSolarMax provided by Cumulus for your location / time.

Edit: Plus of course whatever your update interval is .... a 10 minute 'window' when sunrise / sunset is very good :D
Last edited by beteljuice on Sat 07 Feb 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridger
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 11 Home

Post by Bridger »

This is working well for me. Installed a couple of weeks ago without problem.
I like the prefix option which I recently used to indicate I had reset the barometric pressure.
A nice addition to my site.
Much appreciated.
honestjohn
Weather Station: Davies Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by honestjohn »

Hi everyone.. Have just installed this Saratoga script today at http://www.rushden-weather.co.uk

Easy install with great instructions. Will obviously monitor it over the coming days.

I've placed the text as a scrolling marquee, which IMO, adds a nice twist to it.

Great work guys.

Kind regards

John
duke

Post by duke »

I installed the script when it was first available and monitor it when I'm home and I am very pleased with the accuracy of the results.

Thanks betel & Jenny, now I can report current conditions without actually having to report anything ;)
JennyLeez
Weather Station: La Crosse WS3083
Operating System: Windows XP, Win7 & Win 10

Post by JennyLeez »

Yep Duke you got it...lol

As I said in the first post I wanted something to replace the 'all day' manual changing of the conditions in Cumulus on my PC.
I actually started out with 1 line of code and over 3 months it kept increasing to accommodate all conditions, software and languages.
At present Phil and I are playing with the 1 wire sensor to give us the night cloud sky. So far it is working really well.
Beteljuice has coded this in for us also. Once Phil releases the hardware specs and software I will upload this CC version to go with it.

That looks cool honestjohn, will give others ideas no doubt :)

Cheers
Jenny
Wairoa, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand Weather Station:
http://wairoa.net/weather/index.htm
Cumulus Topsites:
http://cumulussites.net/
beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

@honestjohn

You have a few problems !

For some reason your wind description is missing and because you have put it in a <frameset> it doesn't know what language the page is working in.

EDIT: Ah ... you are using the JavaScript (single language) version in a Multi Lingual template when you should be using php.
Last edited by beteljuice on Sun 08 Feb 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honestjohn
Weather Station: Davies Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by honestjohn »

beteljuice wrote:@honestjohn

You have a few problems !

For some reason your wind description is missing and because you have put it in a <frameset> it doesn't know what language the page is working in.

EDIT: Ah ... you are using the JavaScript (single language) version in a MultiLingual template when you should be using php.
Hi Beteljuice,

I've made the adjustments as you suggested, but now my current conditions are not showing?

EDIT: All sorted now.. I really appreciate your assistance... Regards John