If you use Cumulus, please donate Image

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Cumulus Realtime.txt Dashboard Template

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderators: daj, TNETWeather

weatherist34
Weather Station: Fine Offset HP1000/2000
Operating System: OS X Sierra

Re: Cumulus Realtime.txt Dashboard Template

Postby weatherist34 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:19 am

To be honest everyone I am so fed up with this

i received a usual email for support yesterday , as always i check the url for the obvious and hopefully easy resolve response.

however i looked deeper at THIS one particular url and wow Im so disheartened 2 years of continuous working trying to offer something different and appealing and with the help of many enthusiasts i think i got there .

then this shite appears sorry sometimes I need to speak loudly and shame i dont normally i try to resolve behind the scenes but this one has irritated me beyond because the response I got was OOOPS !, it is NOT the first in fact its the 6th and ironic 4 out the 6 instances have all been Yatching or boating related and a surf club !

Ive never charged for this template, i never complained its costing me money ,I've always told those that wanted to make a donation or have offered for the time i spent to donate it to charity...

disheartened and sadly disillusioned ...brian

nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby nitrx » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:44 am

Wow great and they ask you for support :bash: Unfortunally you can't do not much I think :groan:

weatherist34

Postby weatherist34 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:52 am

nitrx wrote:Wow great and they ask you for support :bash: Unfortunally you can't do not much I think :groan:

i dont need to do anything or want to do anything its the sheer lack of respect and blatant rip off...enough is enough . its a hobby and thats what I want i want it be nothing else the moment it becomes something else then its time to move on ..which is exactly what Im doing..its been fun, its been challenging,it accomplished a lot but enough is enough to old and at 50 something im not going to deal with this shite ! if I was thirty something and in good health its a different story i would have no qualms with my youthful don't give a dam attitude :-) bit I'm not thirty something.. so its not a case doing something about it ..

nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby nitrx » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:09 am

Well in that case enjoy your holidays ;) greetingz from another 50 something :mrgreen:

weatherist34

Postby weatherist34 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 am

nitrx wrote:Well in that case enjoy your holidays ;) greetingz from another 50 something :mrgreen:

Thanks I will I always do at the end of the day when you get to the point of thinking what's the point something telling you something your wasting your time and energy on something you can do little about.. have fun and I think where it is today it's good enough , if you use it use if you don't there are alternatives , Saratoga,leaven,meteotemplate,cumulus and so on so I don't ithink it's the end of the world . Today's version is as good as it will get so nothing lost for anyone ..

Congratulations on the football shame the men can't do the same and play the once beautiful game we remember about holland ..take care brian..

jachym
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Win XP

Postby jachym » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi Brian,
thanks for creating such a great template. Unfortunately, I totally understand you, and I have to say I did have similar experience in the past with Meteotemplate as well. It is frustrating to see this and no wonder you´ve had enough of this, once it is no longer a hobby there is no point. I wish you good luck and hope you find something to do that you will enjoy again.

weathersoft
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspbian

Postby weathersoft » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi all,

I am the publisher of the website that Brian is objecting to. I am trying to work with Brian via email to address his concerns at the moment. I really didn't mean to upset Brian or anyone else by what I am doing. I thought that I was using Brian's template in good faith as per the Creative Commons license that is linked to from the template page itself (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/). In there it explicitly says:
You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
for any purpose, even commercially.
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

As you can see it explicitly says that using it for commercial purposes is allowed, and as far as I can tell I am complying with all aspects of the license, but as I have said to Brian via email, I want to make this right and change what needs to be changed to make him happy.

To Brian, please do not quit what you are doing because of something I have done. I love what you have created with the template, and if you like also I am happy to donate to a charity as you suggest. Please just let me make this right.

weatherist34

Postby weatherist34 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:42 pm

weathersoft wrote:Hi all,

I am the publisher of the website that Brian is objecting to. I am trying to work with Brian via email to address his concerns at the moment. I really didn't mean to upset Brian or anyone else by what I am doing. I thought that I was using Brian's template in good faith as per the Creative Commons license that is linked to from the template page itself (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/). In there it explicitly says:
You are free to:

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

As you can see it explicitly says that using it for commercial purposes is allowed, and as far as I can tell I am complying with all aspects of the license, but as I have said to Brian via email, I want to make this right and change what needs to be changed to make him happy.

To Brian, please do not quit what you are doing because of something I have done. I love what you have created with the template, and if you like also I am happy to donate to a charity as you suggest. Please just let me make this right.

first and foremost lets not beat around the bush you want to make money ? from something that is offered for free

no i cant revoke as it clearly states but Im not going to sit here for months developing something that someones going to use for profit or personal financial end of story !! do I look stupid ?

a copy of my response via email

the damage is done you are free to do whatever you wish I have no control over that , i have no inclination to pursue or continue , i feel cheated , it took 2 years to put this altogether and I don't recall any communication with you to use this in a commercial or personal profit environment .

do as you wish and whatever amendments you make should be because its honest not because someone is forcing you with the issue..

I am truly finished as I said you wont be last and I don't want to deal with it, it was a hobby carried on using techniques learnt from working as a designer for many years..

today it does not feel like an hobby ..

end of subject..yours brian ..

weatherist34

Postby weatherist34 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:52 pm

anyway something positive.

user3162 i fixed your rain charts it was a simple error highlighted in the pm ...

have fun..brian

jachym

Postby jachym » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:07 pm

You are free to:

Right so let me tell you something:

If you at least used Brian´s template as "a template" for your own work... but no, you just copied it straight as it is. Brian spent literally thousands of hours developing this and what is even more amazing, he decided to offer it for free! Free!

Now comes some * like you and thinks - oh great, let me just take it and sell it.

Stop posting some bullshit about licenses. A fair person with some common-sense does not need to read any licenses to understand that selling something someone else has provided to you and others for free is unacceptable!

if you do not see this then there is something seriously wrong with you. However Im 99% sure you see this very well. You are just an *hole that wants to misuse people for their own profit. You are not willing to offer stuff for free and what´s worse, you are not willing to even spend time on the work that you subsequently want to sell.

Unbeliavable, seriously, unbeliavable. Your lame excuse only made things worse.

Toxic17
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Debian 9.1 Stretch

Postby Toxic17 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:25 pm

I am the publisher of the website that Brian is objecting to.

Well Weathersoft, you will be remembered for all the wrong reasons I guess. You removed ALL credits to Brian and weather34, wow, you must be so proud of yourself.

I Also loved what brian had done too, I may have changed a few things on my template, but at least I left credits to Brian and all his hard work.

I must say one thing however.............but I love Karma better :lol:
Regards Simon
https://www.conligwx.org
https://www.conligwx.org/pws/
Davis Vantage Pro2+ - CumulusMX v3.0.0 (build 3043) + Saratoga/PWS

weathersoft
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspbian

Postby weathersoft » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:51 pm

You removed ALL credits to Brian and weather34

In my defence, this is not correct. The site I published still had credits to Brian in two places ... both in the "Template Info" option on the main menu and via the "Creative Commons" logo in the bottom left. Admittedly I did change the one in the bottom right, partly because I was trying to satisfy what it said in the Creative Commons license about "you must ... indicate if changes were made". I realise that I could have done this in a better way, and that is what I was suggesting via email to Brian that I alter to whatever he preferred.

My understanding is that the Creative Commons "Attribution" type license that Brian selected for his license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) is intended to allow the sort of use I was making, and specifically allows commercial use. I assumed that by choosing this type of license he was indicating the same. He could have chosen the equivalent non-commercial license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) but did not, so that seemed to be his intent at the time and was also supported by what he wrote in the main post at the start of this forum thread where he said "It's free , it has no commercial value to me and you are free to do what you want to it".

I am fully supportive of the open Internet, sharing of ideas and code, and keen to open up any improvements or development that I might make to others to benefit the community. I feel bad that I have caused issues, but that was certainly not my intent. I offer consulting services to clients, and one of those services included helping a client out with modifying the weather34 template to suit their requirements.

Toxic17
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Debian 9.1 Stretch

Postby Toxic17 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:20 pm

weathersoft wrote:BLAH BLAH BLAH

Whats done.... is done,

I very much hope you're happy that you can now develop the template knowing it will be all your hard work and that your paying customers are glad it is in safe hands.

enough is enough....

Brian has left the building....

I suggest one of the moderators please lock the topic.
Regards Simon
https://www.conligwx.org
https://www.conligwx.org/pws/
Davis Vantage Pro2+ - CumulusMX v3.0.0 (build 3043) + Saratoga/PWS

weatherist34

Postby weatherist34 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:27 pm

you carry on doing what you believe and practice and whatever you think is right but don't ever email me for support, you will get a blank expression
, as it quite clearly states on your website "designed by weathersoft.com.au".. so you resolve your issues .

"I am fully supportive of the open Internet, sharing of ideas and code" hmmm so am I thats why it was a public open download to anyone and the code was easily adaptable thats why it is what is today (or was) it allowed users,indviduals to adapt ideas and code . some of the code you use in your consultation commercial services was developed by other users on this forum . Im sorry Im never going to sympathize because your looking for an escape from the obvious , the fact that you use it commercially just aggravates "designed by weathersoft.com.au".. that little simple reference ..

brian

jachym

Postby jachym » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:30 pm

weathersoft wrote:
You removed ALL credits to Brian and weather34

In my defence, this is not correct. The site I published still had credits to Brian in two places ... both in the "Template Info" option on the main menu and via the "Creative Commons" logo in the bottom left. Admittedly I did change the one in the bottom right, partly because I was trying to satisfy what it said in the Creative Commons license about "you must ... indicate if changes were made". I realise that I could have done this in a better way, and that is what I was suggesting via email to Brian that I alter to whatever he preferred.

My understanding is that the Creative Commons "Attribution" type license that Brian selected for his license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) is intended to allow the sort of use I was making, and specifically allows commercial use. I assumed that by choosing this type of license he was indicating the same. He could have chosen the equivalent non-commercial license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) but did not, so that seemed to be his intent at the time and was also supported by what he wrote in the main post at the start of this forum thread where he said "It's free , it has no commercial value to me and you are free to do what you want to it".

I am fully supportive of the open Internet, sharing of ideas and code, and keen to open up any improvements or development that I might make to others to benefit the community. I feel bad that I have caused issues, but that was certainly not my intent. I offer consulting services to clients, and one of those services included helping a client out with modifying the weather34 template to suit their requirements.

Right thats totally fine, in that case Im assuming you offered your modifications in Brian´s code for free to others right? If you are so supportive of open internet.

Stop that BS about licenses and tell me honestly. No matter what the license says, do you see nothing wrong with selling something someone has decided to offer for free?

If you made some minor modifications and left some of the credits, then I would say, not great, but ok. But no. You took his work and tried to sell it.

Again - unbealevable and I will do absolutely everything I can and use as many communication channels as I can to spread only the worst about you. And I honestly hope one day someone rips you off just like you did.

Return to “Web site - General”