Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

index.htm file shows 0 xero bytes

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

mikechristelow
Weather Station: Watson W8681 (solar)
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

index.htm file shows 0 xero bytes

Post by mikechristelow »

I upgraded to Cumulus 194.1099 this morning.

Since doing so, my website had failed - the index.htm file is being written 0 bytes content.

I had the HTML Files option unchecked on install, as I have my own customised version of the standard pages so don't want them to be overwritten. My indexT.htm once processed by Cumulus is written to my webspace as cumulus.htm. Both are showing 0 bytes. Additionally, the today.htm file is also showing 0 bytes. All the other files appear to be being update with data in the expected way.

I've obviously done something really stupid and I can't see it.

Any ideas?
http://www.christelow.co.uk
“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.”

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: index.htm file shows 0 xero bytes

Post by mcrossley »

So the indexT.htm is zero bytes? If so you need to replace it with the proper for from the installer.

If it's just the index.htm on your website, and the index.htmtmp in the Cumulus folder is OK, then just delete the file on your web server - you may need to restart Cumulus after that.
mikechristelow

Post by mikechristelow »

Hi Mark,

The indexT.htm file is exactly as it should be, with 45bytes, located in the cumulus/web directory. The index.htmtmp is showing 0 bytes however, but being updated at the ten minute interval as expected.

Got me really puzzled!

Mike
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.”

ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

The default IndexT.htm is 6k from Cumulus 1.9.4 1099

can you confirm it is correct?
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

mikechristelow

Post by mikechristelow »

Hi Simon,

I'm not using the default indexT.htm, I've had my own for a number of years as I've customised things.

Anyway, things are going from bad to worse, I've just rebooted the PC running Cumulus and restarted from cold. Now all the Cumulus station configuration data has been wiped. Not happy now.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

Have you moved the Cumulus folder to a new directory lately? I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that it can cause an issue like the one you have?!
mikechristelow

Post by mikechristelow »

Hi Mapanz,
No, nothing changed other than upgrading from 194.1092 to 194.1099. No new web pages installed, nothing else moved or altered. Since the upgrade, it is clear Cumulus is processing the files, but the today.htm and index.htm (which gets renamed to cumulus.htm when writing to my webspace) are bing populated with 0 bytes.
Totally mysterious presently, but unable to progress any further as after a cold restart Cumulus appears unable to load the .ini file and after a second restart Windows is "helpfully" getting ready... :-(
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Have you read the release announcements for the builds between the one you were using and the build you are now using? In particular the references to UTF-8 encoding, and turning that option off if your custom pages are not UTF-8 encoded? https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 777#p95111

There have been no changes which would affect reading the data files, so there must be a problem with your system somewhere, or perhaps you didn't install the new build to the same place as your existing installation. I'm not sure what you mean by Windows "getting ready".
Steve
mikechristelow

Post by mikechristelow »

Hi Steve,
The Windows "getting ready" is that helpful splash screen from Microsoft when W10 is updating after download... :-)
I've had to restore the entire cumulus directory from backup and revert to 194-1092 to get operational again. Touch wood, all seems to be working presently.
When I'm feeling up to it I'll have another crack at upgrading to 194.1099 and see how it goes. I can't explain all the oddities I've had this morning :bash:
Mike
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Mike,
Glad you're back up and running, but do try to upgrade again. And do follow Steve's suggestion to be aware of the new builds' changes.
None of the updates I've done has given any issue and I also keep my customized indexT.htm from being replaced during the install. I do a full backup of Cumulus folder before updating and that gives me a very quick way of going back if something went wrong.

One thing that confuses me is when you mentioned your indexT htm being updated as cumulus.htm Have you disabled to include Standard Files in the FTP settings and then have those files set up as additional files to be processed and updated with a new name? This would not explain the 0 bytes though. Does the indexT.htm have the correct webtags (originals and any modifications you may have added)?

Wish you the best to get it updated...
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm