Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Advice Needed for a Project

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

ando9185
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-1001
Operating System: Windows 10

Advice Needed for a Project

Post by ando9185 »

Hi guys,

It's been on my list for a long time but I'm really trying to get started with a vision for a website and templates, I just really want to make sure I do it properly, in particular in light of recent events. I'd hate to inadvertently steal someone else's work.

So, I used to use Cumulus and it was fantastic but I changed to the Australian equivalent of the Ambient Weather WS-1001 which is a great system but unfortunately not compatible with Cumulus. I've had it running since the beginning of the year uploading to a MySQL database and then to Weather Underground. As well as creating a JSON clientraw file which I have had when using Brian's weather34 template (thanks once again Brian)

As I haven't found any products to really do what I want, I'd like to create my own using PHP which I've dabbled in a bit. I would need to do things like create the equivalent versions of the dayfile.txt and monthly.txt files from Cumulus. If I'm writing the code and providing credit to Cumulus in an acknowledgement page but using the way that Cumulus handles things, is that ok to do?

Similarly, I've found this https://github.com/arboshiki/lobiadmin/ ... er/LICENSE which I'd like to use as a template. It looks like it's a free for all type license, but I guess just leave all the copyright info in and acknowledge again? I know the legal speak is there but I'm a plain English kinda guy and as this is not my main job, I want to make sure that I can keep this fun.

For the rest of the project, I'll be building things up myself and I envisage a page with all the standard home weather station things but I'd like to include extra things from the Bureau of Meteorology (Australia) including observations for the nearest weather station at the Airport for comparison purposes, forecasts and warnings and some radar pictures from there or Weather Underground.

As I have a few different devices, I'd like to make things widget based and highly customisable, eg. for my tablet device I can have it as a current weather console showing the basic details but I can have another version made for my TV including the current info but also the radars and forecast info. The website version can have histories and things like that. People can create their own custom view and use it as their own personal dashboard so it would be like http://www.devonportweather.com/<random short code>

I'm no good with icons so I'd probably use the weather glyphicons with Bootstrap. Saratoga and others, I love your work and I may ask questions if that's ok too. As I say, this isn't my main job and it's something I might get done in a weekend or it might take many months. I do want to make it all highly customisable and as a template for others to use however if possible and to be able to integrate.

One final thing, if I do use stuff from other sites with acknowledgements, am I able to add Google ads if I choose to or a donation button? I'm not in it to be a millionaire but as I'm sure you're all aware, it's an expensive hobby we have and I do want to try to make something that can benefit the community but I'd like to also live a few more years with my wife without her cracking it over the finances. Even if I can just get 2 bucks it's better than nothing!

Thanks for those who have made it this far, please feel free to ask any questions (I doubt I explained things very well) and to offer any advice. I've enjoyed all that you've all offered the community and would like to try and make a contribution myself.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Advice Needed for a Project

Post by steve »

ando9185 wrote: As I haven't found any products to really do what I want, I'd like to create my own using PHP which I've dabbled in a bit. I would need to do things like create the equivalent versions of the dayfile.txt and monthly.txt files from Cumulus. If I'm writing the code and providing credit to Cumulus in an acknowledgement page but using the way that Cumulus handles things, is that ok to do
That's fine - I don't want to claim any ownership of the format of the Cumulus data logs.
Steve
ando9185
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-1001
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Advice Needed for a Project

Post by ando9185 »

Thanks Steve! :)