Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MAplin W1081 Fail need advice on replacement

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

Siddy
Weather Station: Maplin W1081
Operating System: Win 10

MAplin W1081 Fail need advice on replacement

Post by Siddy »

Hi Folks

My Maplin 1081 has started alarming for no reason and it hurts my side when she digs me through the night, It's not turned off!

Looking at Maplins they have stuck £50 on the price which used to be offered in sales.

What replaces this model I've seen a WS 1083 with solar.

But please send recommends, it's connected to the net to wonderground. I can't fault the unit I had till now so it's ran for 4 years.

They seem to be under different names when I've search so give me your best shot try to max at £150 I've looked at higher but then they seem to want more to upload.

Thanks

Siddy
Turvey
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Win 7

Re: MAplin W1081 Fail need advice on replacement

Post by Turvey »

There's was a Vantage Vue for sale on here.

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16856
Siddy
Weather Station: Maplin W1081
Operating System: Win 10

Post by Siddy »

Does this type of model need anything else to connect to the net, Also how much is the external kit to suit.

SORRY asking I've been researching on and off for weeks and not getting nowhere fast due to work.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

AFAIK the WH-1081 is still being manufactured and is available with various "badge" names. The most obvious is the very similar WH-1080 from Clas Ohlson which adds a Radio Controlled Clock [EDIT: might have been removed], 868MHz radio link and a blue backlight, but all of those features are "different" rather than being specifically better or worse. However, CO do give a 2 year warranty (and also occasionally sell it at a lower price "On Offer"), which is obviously better than you'll get from Maplin now. ;)

Do you mean WH-3081 ? That has also been around for a long time and personally I do "like" the Console (much clearer screen, etc.) but the initial production had such severe faults that Fine Offset seems to have "relaunched" it as the 3083. It introduced the infamous "USB lockups" issue, which sadly appears to have been now carried through into the 1080/1 as well.

The Solar feature is rather a mixed blessing. It reduces the available logger capacity and if you locate the Pod/transmitter in direct sunlight (to get a reasonable sunlight measurement) then the external temperature will over-read considerably. IMHO the "Solar charging" is also useless because of the poor quality and type of "rechargeable" batteries supplied.

A search of the forum should find plenty of detail on all this. Sadly, you probably won't find anything better at your price point and the solution may be to simply buy a 1080/1 for around £75 and save the other £75 in case you need to buy another. :)

Cheers, Alan.