Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

jpgraph issue

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

rp4111
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows XP, Mac OSX

jpgraph issue

Post by rp4111 »

I have a question about Kevin's jpgraphs. I've got everything all setup on my server for them but my hosting (E-rice) does not allow cron jobs so I can't do this "Need to be collecting the output of the realtime.txt files to a log, like realtime.log. A script exists to do this for you that runs under cron on your server. Ref: RealTimeLog.php"

Any suggestions? Could I do sometthing with Daj's "toolbox" program?
TNETWeather

Re: jpgraph issue

Post by TNETWeather »

Unless you use Daj's toolbox, right now there are not a lot of options.

A feature request was requested to have the ability added to Cumulus that would allow it to make a schedule call to a URL which would act as a trigger for this type of functionality without the need to rely on a cron capability of the host. But it has not been added.

The cumulus wiki template system that I've been working on is partially on hold for this type of feature or another solution that would work without a lot of extra support. I looked a number of possible solutions that would allow this type of functionallity without a lot of extra needed support but didn't find any yet.

A lot of cron scheduled functions will operate off of such a feature including log updates, log rotation, updating static content from dynamic sources etc with or without cron scheduling by the web hosts.
rp4111

Post by rp4111 »

So your saying is a way to go about this by using Daj's toolbox which I currently use? Any hints on how to go about getting this going?

Thanks for that bit of info to. If the above is not true then it looks like im SOL for now.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

TNETWeather wrote:A feature request was requested to have the ability added to Cumulus that would allow it to make a schedule call to a URL which would act as a trigger for this type of functionality without the need to rely on a cron capability of the host. But it has not been added.
I didn't see any point in me duplicating the functionality, as the Toolbox does it.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

rp4111 wrote:So your saying is a way to go about this by using Daj's toolbox which I currently use? Any hints on how to go about getting this going?
You just need to use the 'scheduled HTTP requests" to call the RealTimeLog.php script at the appropriate times.

In addition, I believe the toolbox offers an alternative method of creating the log.
Steve
rp4111

Post by rp4111 »

Hmm,
Maybe Daj could add a bit of info here on how to do this?
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

'Toolbox' can help out with this in different ways....

1. In the Setup screen, move to the realtime.txt tab and activate logging and set the interval (say 10 minutes). This will added realtime.txt to the end of realtimelog.txt in the Cumulus folder every 10 minutes. Now go to the Upload Files tab and upload this file to your website periodically (make sure the filename you upload it to on the server is the name that your graphs script expects).
Screenshot1.png

2. Another way to do it is to simply upload realtime.txt directly and append this to the server periodically. Again make sure the name is what JGraphs expects on the server.
Screenshot2.png
Which to use? They both have their merits, however option 2 means that a very small file is uploaded to your server each time, whereas option 1 could be uploading a much bigger file as time goes on. Option 1 is usefully if you want to keep a realtime log file locally; option 2 keeps no realtime log on the PC -- which for the case here is not required, so option 2 is possibly the best solution for this problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
rp4111

Post by rp4111 »

Thanks for the graphical explanation, Daj! With a bit of help from you and Kevin I think I've finally got something here.

http://westspringfieldwx.com/temp.php