Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Vote for the next article - PHP or Javascript

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

Next website development article?

Poll ended at Sat 25 Jun 2011 10:57 am

PHP
52%
Javascript
48%

Total votes: 21

MickinMoulden
Weather Station: WS-1081 with rain gauge mod
Operating System: Windows 7 & 1.9.3 b1059

Re: Vote for the next article - PHP or Javascript

Post by MickinMoulden »

gemini06720 wrote:Another good Internet location would be W3Schools' PHP Tutorial...
I love that site. Use it a lot!
I've just used Javascript to call on a PHP script to automatically grab photo's that are automatically aploaded via webcam and make a timelapse vid automatically when you visit the webpage. It's a hidden page, so don't ask to see it :D Oh, I've just realised how that could have been taken :oops: It's of my front driveway where my kids sometimes play.

I voted for PHP.
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

I do not think this forum might be the right place to place a reply, but since it has been inactive for such a long time, maybe our exchanges will clear up some of the dust... :mrgreen:
MickinMoulden wrote:I've just used Javascript to call on a PHP script to automatically grab photo's that are automatically aploaded via webcam and make a timelapse vid automatically when you visit the webpage.
Michael, why did/do you need a JavaScript to activate/call/run a PHP script - you do realise that the JavaScript must first be downloaded into the user's browser cache before that JavaScript can be activated - lots of files movement/transfer to do a server-side job!

The simple solution would be a button on the server-side PHP script (the web page) to activate the (server-side) PHP script that will eventually create the time-lapse video.

I have a similar procedure on my web site: When a user activate my main web page (or for that matter, any pages on the site), a secondary PHP script is activated to process the (already uploaded on the server) radar images, reduce the size of those images and finally produce an animated GIF image

My point is/was: Why force an operation on the user's computer (ie: JavaScript) when that operation can all be accomplished/controlled/processed on the server (ie: PHP)! :roll:
MickinMoulden wrote:Oh, I've just realised how that could have been taken...
No need to feel bad about your statement - I know that you run a server on your personal computer (as I do) and do not make all/every pages available to the 'outside world' (as I do)... ;)
MickinMoulden

Post by MickinMoulden »

gemini06720 wrote: My point is/was: Why force an operation on the user's computer (ie: JavaScript) when that operation can all be accomplished/controlled/processed on the server (ie: PHP)! :roll:
I would love to know your code. Sounds good. I'll have a look at yours.
Michael, Palmerston, NT Australia www.Palmerston-WeatherImageNo image? I'm offline!
ImageImage
MickinMoulden

Post by MickinMoulden »

Ray, your page wouldn't open for me, something with floatbox.js?
ImageImage
duke

Post by duke »

Thanks for your suggestions guys, looks like I got a bit of PHP reading for over Xmas ;)

Duke