Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Banners and mobile phone displays

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

w5afw
Weather Station: ws-2315

Re: Banners and mobile phone displays

Post by w5afw »

ok--I found a php service host; now where do I find my uploaded realtime.txt file? It does not seem to be uploading with my http and graph pages??? I do have the option ticked in internet... lex
W5AFW, Lex

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

It should get uploaded to the same place that the index.htm etc files get uploaded, the directory you specify in the internet settings.

Steve
w5afw

Post by w5afw »

it would seem not to be making the trip! what shall I check?
W5AFW, Lex

w5afw

Post by w5afw »

I ticked realtime next to the first blank u/l file space on the internet file option page and it seems to be working... http://wxnow.comli.com/wxnow.php

on the internet options page, the realtime timing box expects "seconds" instead of minutes. how many seconds is optimal? lex
W5AFW, Lex

beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Lex;

I still can't see your realtime.txt on the comli site, nor can your realtime gauges.

I don't know how your banner is working unless it is getting it from your old site, and you are still ftp'ing to that old site !

You only need to have the Enable realtime 'tick' on the initial Web setting box, the 'second' page is if you have a 'homebrew' file uploading at the the same frequency as 'realtime'.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
w5afw

Post by w5afw »

very curious -- all seems fine here; except I haven't figured out how to customize my banner. . . . or how to embed it in my signature. please have another gander at http://wxnow.comli.com/ and let me know if the links are working there -- thanks, lex
W5AFW, Lex

w5afw

Post by w5afw »

by the way, are there parameters for the min/max upload seconds on realtime.txt uploads? if you leave interval blank, is there a default?
W5AFW, Lex

beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

Couldn't see your site last time - it was being 'manually checked for content' by your provider.

STILL can't find your realtime.txt, nor can your realtime gauges (The bottom two on the gauges page).

Your 'sticker' is getting it from somewhere and NOT your old site, because the timestamp is a day newer.

RE. update frequency, upto you really, I've got mine set to 5s, to power my experimental AJAX pages and coincidental my 'weather banner'.
w5afw

Post by w5afw »

Thanks for the ongoing coaching. Now the banner is working without the tick on the files transfer page. Regarding the upload timing frequency - - real time does not seem to upload when I ask it to give me more than about 120 seconds. I do not wish to upload the banner data more often than I do upload my web pages, about 9000 seconds. I think there must be some kind of boundaries of the real time upload timer. I would appreciate clarification.

With respect to the inability to see the real time text file on the FTP site, I believe there is some kind of protection which will not allow direct viewing of files on the site via HTML, unless they are HTML or php. When a login via FTP, I can observe the real time text file updating properly. I guess the bottom two gauges on the weather website gauge page pertain to wind. If that is the case, those dials may not appear to move because we have no wind in Texas...we sent all the politicians to Washington! But wait til hurricane season starts - - then we'll give those gauges a whirl!
W5AFW, Lex

beteljuice

Post by beteljuice »

w5afw wrote:... Regarding the upload timing frequency - - real time does not seem to upload when I ask it to give me more than about 120 seconds.
Apparently, realtime opens a connection but leaves it open. It sounds like your server is like mine and closes the connection after 120s inactivity.
I do not wish to upload the banner data more often than I do upload my web pages, about 9000 seconds.
I think (but Steve will have to confirm), that if you leave 'realtime' ticked and the delay you want, although it will only do the first upload (?), it will be created locally.
If on the 'second' files page you add realtime.txt (not processed, nor realtime ticked) then it should upload with the 'standard files'. - try it (although something may hang)

Any particular reason why you don't want realtime to be realtime ?
... I guess the bottom two gauges on the weather website gauge page pertain to wind. If that is the case, those dials may not appear to move because we have no wind in Texas...
Still something not right, are you sure your realtime.txt is in the same area ? - If you look below those two dials you will see there should be a time and date stamp which is missing.
w5afw

Post by w5afw »

It seems like an unnecessary burden on my machine and the web pipes to ftp that realtime file so frequently -- even more frequently than the weather station updates the computer...

I will tinker more with the upload timing combinations to try and find the limits and the optimal here. Does Cumulus create and deposit a local file, and if so where can I find it?

My cumulus realtime swf file and my realtime text files are in the root directory along with the css and index files and others. I did not realize that more data is supposed to appear at the bottom of the guages page. It is a mystery to me why that function is not working. lex
W5AFW, Lex

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

beteljuice wrote: I do not wish to upload the banner data more often than I do upload my web pages, about 9000 seconds.
I think (but Steve will have to confirm), that if you leave 'realtime' ticked and the delay you want, although it will only do the first upload (?), it will be created locally.
If on the 'second' files page you add realtime.txt (not processed, nor realtime ticked) then it should upload with the 'standard files'. - try it (although something may hang)[/quote]

Yes, but it will still be attempting to do the realtime upload. At the moment, there is no way to say 'just create a realtime.txt but don't try to upload it', without also doing the same for the 'normal' uploads. I was thinking about this recently. It wouldn't be too hard to have an option to do that, or indeed an option to include the realtime.txt file as if it were a 'normal' upload file.

Steve
w5afw

Post by w5afw »

Steve--whatever you fixed, the new build now loads lightning fast!

Loading realtime text with the other auto-uploads would be perfect.

Does Cumulus create and deposit a local realtime text file, and if so where can I find it? Or where can I grab text to copy and use on a desktop widget or such for a simple text listing of current conditions (without pulling back off the web)?
W5AFW, Lex

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, it creates it in the Cumulus installation folder. I'll look into the possibility of an option to include the realtime.txt file as a 'standard' upload rather than a 'realtime' upload.

Steve
w5afw

Post by w5afw »

.....using Vista which sometimes puts things in funny places, I can't find a local realtime update. Other updates are updated in /web subdirectory, but not realtime! Gotta clue?
W5AFW, Lex