Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New installation

BSGK
Weather Station: La Crosse WS2355
Operating System: XP

New installation

Post by BSGK »

I installed a LaCrosse WS2355 last month hard wired from the roof and yesterday I have installed Cumulus 1.8.9 V930 running XP. Yesterday I got a maximum wind speed of 71.5 knots from 360 deg and a minimum temperature of -25.6 deg C. I thought this was an aberration but today have got a maximum wind speed of 84 knots from 360 deg and minimum temp of -27.8 degrees C. Both days are clearly wrong. Do you have a suggestion for where I should look?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: New installation

Post by steve »

The highs and lows are held in dayfile.txt, so you can edit that to correct them. How is your station connected to your PC - to a real serial port, or via a serial/USB adapter?
Steve
BSGK

Post by BSGK »

steve wrote:The highs and lows are held in dayfile.txt, so you can edit that to correct them. How is your station connected to your PC - to a real serial port, or via a serial/USB adapter?
It's through a serial adaptor to the USB port on my laptop Steve. Since checking I notice that I have a record of as "gust" of 159 knots 50 minutes ago. Is there something in my setup that is calculating this wrong?
BSGK

Post by BSGK »

cumulus windspeed.JPG
Something crazy is happening to the wind speed gusts. The attached screen shot shows the problem. Can you hel[p?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

La Crosse stations don't work properly with USB adapters, I have spent many hours in the past trying to get reasonable results out of them when connected in that way. With certain types of USB adapter you might get lucky, but basically I don't support the use of Cumulus with a La Crosse station with a USB adapter - as stated in the readme.txt file.
Steve
werribee_au
Weather Station: WH-1081 (Jaycar Digitech XC0348)
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by werribee_au »

BSGK, have a look at this post.
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 62&#p25262

Might help? Might not!
BSGK

Post by BSGK »

Thanks Gerard - I had a look at my adaptor and it doesn't have any names at all. The problem now is what do I do with it. I have tried the software that came with the station but it was completely useless and wouldn't even load. Looks like I bought a pup.
BSGK

Post by BSGK »

Steve, do you have any suggestions as to what I can do? As of today i have a max gust wind speed of 183knots and a temp of 59.9C. Not pleasant conditions I am sure you'll agree. Short of sending the La Crosse unit back is there any way to bypass the serial/USB adaptor? I am afraid i didn't read the readme.txt file and now can't find where it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The only 'proper' fix would be to get a serial interface for your laptop somehow (even then I can't guarantee perfect data, but La Crosse stations do seem to work OK with Cumulus with a real serial port).

Are you getting reasonable data most of the time, with just the occasional 'spike'? If so, the build you're using has a cumulus.ini file setting called EWTempDiff, which will help to remove temperature spikes. See the wiki for how to use this: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Cumulus.ini

The latest beta build has similar settings for wind etc, and makes them all configurable without editing the cumulus.ini file. If you're only getting the occasional spike, then careful use of the 'spike removal' settings might help.
Steve
BSGK

Post by BSGK »

Thanks Steve - I'll try those suggestions