Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

La Crosse WS2500 and Win7

beeman
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

La Crosse WS2500 and Win7

Post by beeman »

This is not a Cumulus problem but ...

My dad has the Lacrosse ws2500 and was using the supplied software with his old XP desktop. He upgraded to Win7 and now the software won't install. I've downloaded the latest software from the Lacrosse website but it appears that it won't run on Win7.

The installation fails after extracting files to the appropriate sub directory when it is trying to run setup.exe.
The installation program does extract the files to "Program Files" Is this a problem, as I know Cumulus doesn't like to run from here. I've also tried to run it from Program Files (X86) directory which he seems to have on his PC

I've tried to run the installation program and setup.exe in XP compatibility mode but again no joy.

Anyone out there with this kit and Win7?
Any ideas?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: La Crosse WS2500 and Win7

Post by steve »

Have you tried installing to C:\whatever ? i.e. outside both Program Files and Program Files(x86) (the latter only appears on 64-bit systems and is for 32-bit software).
Steve
beeman

Post by beeman »

Hi Steve,

It only occurred to me that Cumulus doesn't like running from Program Files whilst I was composing the post to the forum, so no I haven't tried it.

I've sent a note to LaCrosse support. I'll report back.

Thanks
beeman

Post by beeman »

La Crosse came back with a page full of questions, all relating to problems with USB ports etc. No help at all with why the software won't load!

The Win7 is 64 bit.
The La Crosse software unzips to c:\ws2500 OK and I can see a bunch of files, one of which is setup.exe.
Tried to run setup.exe in compatibility mode and as an administrator but no use.

I got the software to load on my 32 bit Win7 with no problems :clap:

Is there any way of running Win7 in 32 bit mode for just this program?

Many thanks
Orion
Weather Station: WH1081 (Maplin)
Operating System: windows 10 64bit

Post by Orion »

beeman

Post by beeman »

Thanks Orion, I understood the first 2 paragraphs and then it lost me ;)

However following some of the links it suggested downloading a product from Microsoft called XPM.
It won't download if you have Home Premium :bash:

"You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. To upgrade visit Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade."

Go you by the short & curlies haven't they :lol:

I have an old IBM Thinkpad T20 running Win2000 somewhere in the loft and it has a serial port which the new PC doesn't. I think it is time to resurrect it.

Thanks all.

{Edit - just received this from LaCrosse Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, the Heavy Weather program will not work with 64 bit platforms of Windows. Sorry for any inconvenience.}