IMPORTANT! The server may go down soon - possibly permanently. Please read the latest post in Announcements and News

I strongly advise all users using my server for their web site to make alternative arrangements.

Outgoing mail is disabled because of the malware on the server. No new forum registrations are currently possible, and mail to the forum administrator will not work.

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

La-Crosse WS2300 - Optimal Settings

6719jason
Weather Station: Was a La-Crosse WS2300 Serial
Operating System: None

La-Crosse WS2300 - Optimal Settings

Postby 6719jason » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Hello Steve & Forum,

I am pleased to say that the replacement for the Watson W8681 arrived yesterday and the new La Crosse WS2300 is now in service.

Setup was a breeze and build quality in my opinion was much improved. Much studier fixtures, fittings and sensors which make me wish it had been replaced sooner.

Quick run through of the setup....

Mains Powered with batteries installed in Console & Transmitter (incase of power failure), Connection between transmitter and console is cabelled which brings the interval to every 8 seconds. Connected to a Real Serial Port via standard RJ11 to Serial connection cable (Included).

Bearing in mind I used a Watson / Fine Offset Station before, I have since changed the settings to what I hope are the optimal settings.

A second, third or fourth opinion would be much appreciated :)

Screenshot-Cumulus-Settings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7

Re: La-Crosse WS2300 - Optimal Settings

Postby GraemeT » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Yep, that's pretty much how my 2355 is set up.
Cheers,
Graeme.

6719jason

Postby 6719jason » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:16 pm

GraemeT wrote:Yep, that's pretty much how my 2355 is set up.

:D Great - Does anyone know the value in mm per tip?

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None

Postby steve » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 pm

6719jason wrote::D Great - Does anyone know the value in mm per tip?

0.518 mm.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

6719jason

Postby 6719jason » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks Steve :D

I trust all my settings from what you can see are correct?

steve
Cumulus Author

Postby steve » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Looks OK to me.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

Stephenwx82
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby Stephenwx82 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi all I'm a newbie on here, old wx and pc nerd.

Just on an optimal settings for WS2300 series topic, what spike filtering settings are people using for this family of stations?

Vathek
Weather Station: PCE FWS-20 = Fine Offset WS1080
Operating System: Windows 10 x64

Postby Vathek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Stephenwx82 wrote:Hi all I'm a newbie on here, old wx and pc nerd.

Just on an optimal settings for WS2300 series topic, what spike filtering settings are people using for this family of stations?

At the moment I'm using 15°C spike removal for temperature and it works fine, the only problem is the dew point which is not filtered, probably because cumulus get it from the station so it would be nice to apply the temperature spike removal setting to the dew point too...

steve
Cumulus Author

Postby steve » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:32 pm

Vathek wrote:At the moment I'm using 15°C spike removal for temperature and it works fine, the only problem is the dew point which is not filtered, probably because cumulus get it from the station so it would be nice to apply the temperature spike removal setting to the dew point too...
You could turn on the option to have Cumulus calculate the dew point, then the temperature spike removal would apply to that too.
Steve
-----

Vathek

Postby Vathek » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:13 am

steve wrote:
Vathek wrote:At the moment I'm using 15°C spike removal for temperature and it works fine, the only problem is the dew point which is not filtered, probably because cumulus get it from the station so it would be nice to apply the temperature spike removal setting to the dew point too...
You could turn on the option to have Cumulus calculate the dew point, then the temperature spike removal would apply to that too.

Ok, what is the difference between the dew point calculated from the station or from cumulus? Are there known differences between the two conversions?

steve
Cumulus Author

Postby steve » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:22 am

Vathek wrote:Ok, what is the difference between the dew point calculated from the station or from cumulus? Are there known differences between the two conversions?
I have no way of knowing; I don't own a La Crosse station, and I don't know what formula they use. Cumulus uses the same formula as Davis weather stations; I can give you the formula if you wish.
Steve
-----

Vathek

Postby Vathek » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:01 pm

steve wrote:
Vathek wrote:Ok, what is the difference between the dew point calculated from the station or from cumulus? Are there known differences between the two conversions?
I have no way of knowing; I don't own a La Crosse station, and I don't know what formula they use. Cumulus uses the same formula as Davis weather stations; I can give you the formula if you wish.

No problem steve, I trust you :)

Stephenwx82
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby Stephenwx82 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks for that guys, with the spike happening I switched Cumulus over to calculate the DP, if its off Davis stations thats awesome then, I also trust you Steve.

FTDI new drivers for the converter came out and everything with spike removal on seems sweet, maybe I'll remove spike filtering in the next few days and see what it does, my temp scope is similar to your's Vathek unreal :)

I mean it doesn't matter if the calculation of DP is a good quality one IE Davis but its just an observation of what happened.

Cheers
Stephen

Return to “La Crosse”